Looking for Options & Opinions

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought my 2nd boat, after the lessons learned on the first, decided that I couldn't take it on the water before I made sure all systems worked.

I did have enough sense to at least jump up and down on the floor, proved solid, Wiring shoot, fuel lines deteriorated,

After I bought the boat, towed it to the mechanic for at engine over-haul before i even took it home for the wife to look at.

Power head is good, compression is good, lower unit is in pieces. $ 1800 for a used replacement, installed and tested. Motor is white in color, the new lower unit is a gray-lime green primer.

Have spent a year rebuilding everything. All new wiring, all new fuel lines, fuel sender, gas-water filter, 10 micro filter in-front of the new fuel flow turbine. All new gauges, new bus and fuse blocks....

Just have spent the time and $ to make the boat feel comfortable that it isn't going to crap out on me the first time out. Oops.... steering has gotten worse as it has set, while I am doing all of the other stuff.

Took the steering apart as advised and found a busted case with rusted water coming out of it.

1989 - 140 hp Suzuki with the new lower unit, has to be removed in order to replace the steering...I took it back to the mechanic. Just don't have the tools or knowledge to replace this.

Ordered a Tele-flex No Feed Back system. Paid extra but everything I have read & every body I talked to makes it sound like the difference between power steering or not. Had a buddy in high school with a 64 ford wagon that I ended up driving too many times after he indulged in a little bit too much.

Got the call that the boat was done. Paid the guy I trust over the phone. Worked it out so that my brother would pick it up this morning.

At 10:00 am, he calls me, problem with the boat. Seems that the lower unit is leaking oil. Seems that the lower unit is cracked and oil is seeping out.

The owner is actually out of town for the week. Talked to his wife. Sounded bad. So I took off work early and went to look at it. (65 minutes away).

They have dropped the motor directly onto the lower unit. This primer was smooth and clean when I took it over there.

Now it is chipped, flaked and gouged. The lower unit is cracked in two places and someone actually tried to spray gray primer over one of the cracks, like it would seal it. The Skeg is bottomed with road rash.

The question in all of this, is how far can I or should I take this ? Have the rods been bent, those running up to the engine, enough to cause damage up there ?

Would a surveyor be of use here or should I get my insurance company involved before taking to the owner ?

I do believe that the owner will do what he can to make this right, but also like to know what my options are.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Looking for Options & Opinions

talk to the owner, they dropped it, they are responsible.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Shop owes you a new lower unit. I wouldn't worry about trouble past that. I would talk to the shop owner first as a courtesy. This is why HE has insurance. Your insurance will just go after his for payment.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wanted to update ya'll and get some more opinions.

I bought this boat 18 months ago used. 1989 19.5 ft Arrow Glass center console with a Suzuki 140 hp, bi-passed VOR.

Borrowed a truck and towed it directly to this mechanic the day I bought it. He rebuilt the Carbs, replaced the lower unit that was trashed.

I haven't even put it on the water yet. i have been replacing everything. All wiring, buss, fuse box, fuel lines, digital depth gauge, fuel flow meter, added 2 separate fuel filters. An 10 micron in front of the fuel flow meter turbine and a Rancor fuel/water separator and a brass fuel shut off value mounted at the top of the bilge, bolted 16 inches off of the actual bottom. Hidden as a anti-theft measure

Took my boat to the same mechanic to have a new steering unit installed. Since I am storing the boat at my brother's house and don't currently have a vehicle to tow it with, he & his buddy took it over for me.

Also ask that he run the motor because that last time I ran it (2 weeks before, on muffs), it seemed that it wanted to cut in and out at anything above idle.

I paid $750 over the phone for a new NFB steering system, sight unseen without testing it. Because I trust this guy.

Stated that his guys decided that the problem with the fuel system was a kink in the fuel line that I had installed. OK, maybe ? Said that they didn't put the floor back together, told him that I would do that. (as I have added insets, wanted to make sure it was done right, not stripped out).

My brother called me as he was hooking the boat up to his buddy's truck to take it home, and ask me what to do, since there was oil leaking out of the lower unit. Instructed him to leave it there.

Also stated that the canvas cover wasnt' on the boat and the floor screws were left in the open cooler seat, which was now full of rainwater.

I met with the owner of the marine shop first thing Monday morning. (probably not my the best idea).

And since I had already told his wife (who was managing the shop while he was gone for that week), that it looked like they dropped my motor, added gray spray primer and didn't bother to tell anyone that it was leaking oil, he didn't appreciate me ambushing him first thing.

All he did was take a real defensive attitude about how I questioned the integrity of his shop. I asked about the scrapes and scratches that were not on the lower unit it when I brought it in. He stated that when you remove a motor from a boat, these things happen.

I asked what if I had painted the unit and he stated that they probably would have treated it differently if it was in pristine condition. WTF ?

And when I reminded him that I had bought this lower unit from him, he informed me that it was cracked when he installed it a year ago for $1800. Back then I was probably naive enough to assume it was reconditioned but I did know it wasn't new. But If he had told me that it was cracked then, I would not have allowed it to be installed. I am way too paranoid for that.

I left because I really would have felt bad about being arrested for beating the ***** out of a one armed man, with his other arm. Not for doing it, just for getting caught.

Went back Wednesday morning with the attitude that we needed to start this whole conversation over.

Best I could get out of him was to replace the prop seal that was leaking oil and he would pressure test the lower unit. Says it is fine. I mentioned that ?it now has a lifetime warranty right? ? And he just laughs and says ?if you have any problems, bring it back?. . .

Had it towed backed to my brothers and went over on Saturday to find the problem ?I? had caused in the fuel system.

They didn't even hook any of the lines back up. Not on the fuel flow turbine, not on the shut off value, not on the fuel/water separator. I ran air from a compressor through the lines that they didn't bother to hook back up or save the clamps for. Replaced (bought again new) the clamps, found that it was sucking air at the 10 micro, maybe my fault or from their sloppy work ?

Do I contact my insurance company or what. I am 3 weeks from actually putting the boat in the water after 18 months. As I told him, I plan on running the **** out of it to determine if the prop is right or not, what my mileage is, whether or not my GSP and depth finder work or work correctly at WOT . I guess I will invite him along and if the lower unit is *****, he can sit on the water waiting for a tow with me.

Please give me some guidence on where I should go from here ...

Thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Since no one here is an openly practicing lawyer ....... I would seek legal advice.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Totally frustrated,

talked to shop owner once he got back from vacation.
He stated that the lower unit was cracked when he installed it 1 1/2 years ago but cannot provide paperwork to prove it. But since I am such a good customer, he will replace the seals and vacumn test it.

States that when he put the lower unit on, it was used, but not reconditioned. I will admit that I didn't know enough at that time to ask, but what is with that ?

I am taking the boat to a certified Suzuki mechanic for a complete rundown, with a quote on what it will take to make it "reliable". Then I will decide the next step to take.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

may i ask how much $$$ you have in this rig?
just curious.

birddog007

Recruit

Get a permit, make some appropriate signs, and start walking your beat right in front of his business.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hate to think about how much i have in this.

If i sold her right now for 14K, I would just about break even.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya big ouch.

But i am fortunate enough to be making good money (computer programming), have paid off alot of old bills and have a very understanding lady.

I am rebuilding this boat to be mine, the way i want it, new parts & systems to make it as Reliable & Safe as possible, for as long as possible.

The goal is to rebuild now and hope I don't have any major expenses later.
But I am probably a bit older than you are & I plan on this being the last boat that i will ever buy.

Last edited:

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to get yer arse in there and make him replace it. First off, how long has he had it and never mentioned at any time the lower unit issue?

Start off nice and explain to him why it's in his best interest to keep your business and if he makes it right you will be a lifelong customer.

Be nice.

If that fails, yeah, I'm with the guy and the picket sign. Make his life hell.

I am sorry about hearing your news... that's some serious bad luck.

204 Escape

Ensign

Going along with werthert, if he don't want to play nice, offer him some advertising here on this board !!!!!

Nothing like the power of advertising to help a business !!!!!!!!!! ;)

(I know, I know it don't work like that. BUT, it'd get his attention).

-OR- show him this post !!!!!!!

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am going to let the Certified Suzuki mechanic look it over before i do anything.

Don't know what option i use, will be up him and how willing he is to make it right.

jonesg

Admiral

You're just wasting your time, he's a hack.
If you argue with an idiot , no-one can tell the difference.
Fuhgetaboutit.

so...
You haven't described anything you could not do yourself.

Thats why this website is so popular, we learn how to fix boats for peanuts.
How long it takes anyone to learn that depends how much they are willing to lose.

45Auto

Commander

jonesg said:
You're just wasting your time, he's a hack.
If you argue with an idiot , no-one can tell the difference.

That sums it up nicely. Your word aginst his, no documentation or contracts to be seen.

Either do it yourself or get EVERYTHING in writing if you have someone else work on it.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

the timeline is a little confusing...what happened since you started this thread back in the end of June and into July.....has he had your boat the whole time?

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry about the long time between posts, my boat is parked at my brothers, which is 60 miles from the house.

Trying to work on it and work on reworking the house... (the balance between the "Honey Do List" and the "Wanna Do List". So it is sometimes weeks between working on the boat.

Last edited:

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i would get a lawyer and sue him for the cost of having the lu replaced.

even if he is trying to tell you it had a crack in it when he sold it to you no judge in his right mind would believe you purposely bought a cracked lower unit for $1800.............. to me that just shows what kind of guy you are really dealing with.

why dont you ask him why he would sell and install a bad lower unit???

either way you look at it cracked before or after it was bought and installed the guy RIPPED YOU OFF.

i would certainly let him go to court and claim that lower unit was bad when he sold it to you and installed it on your boat....... intentionally.

one arm or not if this is the way he does buisness he needs a few knots on his head!!!.......... sorry, people like this really get under my skin :mad:

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

In situations like this, where you don't know much and the shop is the expert, you are at a disadvantage. How can you disprove what he is saying, or how can you prove what you are saying? It's difficult.

That being said, talking to an attorney is not that expensive. Pay a good one $150 for an hour of their time and see what happens. Bring everything you've got.

Go to the mattresses.