Garmin GPS Question

fwoodtx

Cadet
I'm new to the Forum and a new boater, sort of. :) I've had quite a few boats with Fish Finders but never a GPS Combo. Recently purchased a NS 2110 and am outfitting it. Lots of fun but lots of decisions.
I am looking at the Garmin 535S or 545S for the GPS Combo unit. I live in Central Texas (Austin area) and fish inland lakes but also make monthly trips to the Texas coastal area and fish Matagorda Bay down to Lower Laguna Madre, mostly will stay in the skinny water with a little bit close offshore from Port Aransas area or Port O'Connor.
Questions are several:
I'm not sure how many maps can be loaded on the unit at the same time. Would I need to unload the Inland Lakes maps to add the Coastal Maps? Is the G2 the answer for coastal? Does it have the complete coastal maps or is it just enhancements to existing maps? Can't find my answer from Garmin FAQ.
I'm also considering RayMarine A Series. Looking for pros or cons between them also.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Garmin GPS Question

No need to load and unload map sets. The primary map set is loaded directly into the memory of the machine. Additional maps are loaded via SD card. Just insert the SD card and select which map set you want to use on the screen.

I assume your talking about the G2 Vision charts. The Vision chip has enhancements for the existing map set. 3D under water views, satellite views, marina info, etc. A lot of the ?wow? factor but IMHO not much in the form a useful data. The only thing I bought it for was the offshore bathy charts.

Raymarine would be off my list right now. They are on the ropes with their financers with no buyers interested.

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20090516131943ymnews.html

fwoodtx

Cadet
Re: Garmin GPS Question

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was hoping for, just to insert the SD card for a different map set and still have the preload available. Maybe the G2 Vision at a later date with the revised release.