How should I identify this engine We are building

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer
Ive posted allot on here before with my 1981 Project Mark twain. with a mercruiser 260 and alpha drive. To make a long story short a machine shop is building me a engine. The block is a two piece main seal, left hand dip stick. I'm putting a crank and cam out of a 1984 mercruiser 260 in it, he polished the crank and the cam is in excellent shape. He bored the block 30 over, getting new pistons, the connecting rods out of the 1984 260 were good so he's using them, new lifters, rods and rockers. 882 heads with z28 valve springs and the intake off the 1984. I also want to use the thunder bolt ignition off the 84 to replace the points. I'm putting in the inner transom plate off the 84 and putting on a 1988 outside gimbal housing and using a 228 upper with a alpha one lower. I had a lot of advice about getting a new engine or vortex heads and such but this is what I was able to come up with for the money I had. I guess I should call it a MUTT but would I identify it as a 1984 Mercruiser or just write down what all I just wrote and if I need a part identify everything like that. Plus If I sell it I don't want no one looking at it to be fooled or misled.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How should I identify this engine We are building

Sounds like the old Johnny Cash song "One Piece At A Time" LOL

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Never ever ever use a USED Flat tappet cam and new lifters or vs versa. Flat tappet cams and lifters a considered a matched set after breakin and should never be switched. Your asking for trouble there. The rest sounds good though!

MikDee

Banned

Never ever ever use a USED Flat tappet cam and new lifters or vs versa. Flat tappet cams and lifters a considered a matched set after breakin and should never be switched. Your asking for trouble there. The rest sounds good though!

I agree ;)

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT use a used cam with new lifters. 99% guaranteed you will flatten the cam before the break in is done.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

OK thanks and I'm glad I posted that question. I'll go tomorrow and tell him we need to get one. Any suggestions on what cam to get? I wouldn't mind just a little more horse power since I have to get a cam anyway.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

COMP Cams #SK12-210-2 Cam SK Kit
Small Block Chevy 262-400 High Energy 268H
C.A.R.B. Approved Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft, Lifters & Timing Chain. would that be what I should use?????

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Thats not a bad cam but I would go with the other Comp Marine grind. This should give you a better idle as well. Also a tad lower RPM Range
PN 12-232-3

XM256H 212/218 447/462 112 LSA

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT use a used cam with new lifters. 99% guaranteed you will flatten the cam before the break in is done.

What break-in?
The cam is used, already has had a "break-in."
The break-in is to work harden the lobes, that was accomplished in 1984.

TilliamWe

Banned

As far as what to call the motor, find out what year the block is. That is what year to call the motor. Since the stuff is all interchangeable, the internals don't really matter.
Call the outdrive whatever year the 228 upper is.

But I would make a "build sheet" of everything, just like you typed out, but in a chart like format. Then you will always have it in an easily readable form. And then, yes if you sell it, you can give that to any prospective buying. Keep relevent receipts too, like for the lower unit and the camshaft information. Even for the work the guy building it does.
Good luck.

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive posted allot on here before with my 1981 Project Mark twain. with a mercruiser 260 and alpha drive. To make a long story short a machine shop is building me a engine. The block is a two piece main seal, left hand dip stick. I'm putting a crank and cam out of a 1984 mercruiser 260 in it, he polished the crank and the cam is in excellent shape. He bored the block 30 over, getting new pistons, the connecting rods out of the 1984 260 were good so he's using them, new lifters, rods and rockers. 882 heads with z28 valve springs and the intake off the 1984. I also want to use the thunder bolt ignition off the 84 to replace the points. I'm putting in the inner transom plate off the 84 and putting on a 1988 outside gimbal housing and using a 228 upper with a alpha one lower. I had a lot of advice about getting a new engine or vortex heads and such but this is what I was able to come up with for the money I had. I guess I should call it a MUTT but would I identify it as a 1984 Mercruiser or just write down what all I just wrote and if I need a part identify everything like that. Plus If I sell it I don't want no one looking at it to be fooled or misled.

Is there any chance that the guy at your machine shop is Igor? I'd call this baby "Frankenstein." Only question left is... "Is it ALIVE!?!?!"

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

For documenting the engine, here is what I have considered doing.

There are places that will do engraving services for you. Either in a sheet of plastic, or on brass or other metal. I plan on uisng plastic, the type that is made in 2 layers. Red on top with a white layer underneath. When they do the engraving, they are just cutting through the red layer, so you will see the writing by the white layer showing through. This engraver is a "printer" as far as the computer is concerned. So, type up the info you want to have for the engine in any computer document format, and take it to the engraver. They will "print" it out on to the plasic or metal sheet for you. Then, riviet or mount that plate in the engine compartment or somewhere on the boat for permanent reference.

I am going to do the same with the tag that tells you the capacity and such for the boat. Mine is so faded you cannot read it anymore. The plastic will stand up to the weather pretty good, too.

A paper copy will fade over the years, get wet and fall apart, or just get lost. That's why I like the mounted lable plate.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I thought the rule was..........

You could use NEW lifters w/ an old cam............but not NEW cam w/ old lifters.......

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I still wouldnt chance it since the cam was broken in on a differant block. Dont mess up a good engine on a 150 buck error.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

if the cam is good there is nothing wrong with it. Lifters wear in to cam ,just install new lifters but once they are run they stay on same lobe . It is done all the time that way.