how to check if the impeller is working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newberryfam

Seaman Apprentice
When I hook up the hose with the muffs, I get water flow. I have recently changed the impeller, but how do I know if it is infact circulating water the way it should when it is in the water?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to check if the impeller is working?

1) In the water, it doesn't over heat...
2) If you have a tub large enough, you can immerse the drive & if it doesn't overheat ....
3) Remove the inlet hose while the boat is in the water, start the engine & observe flow for 20 seconds max, you wil know by sight....;)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to check if the impeller is working?

Put the boat in the water and disconnect the hose from the from the raw water pump discharge to the t-stat housing or heat exchanger and see if water comes out when the engine is running.....it'll be a pretty good stream.

If it's a stern drive (with a pump in the drive) it'll be the hose from the transom to the thermostat housing or heat exchanger.

If it's a Volvo or Merc Bravo with an engine driven raw water pump, it will be the hose from the raw pump to the t-stat housing or heat exchanger.

Rstorrie

Seaman Apprentice
Yah, I just took off the thermostat housing and the thermostat is missing, With the thermostat housing top off and removed the one water pump hose and the two thermostat housing hoses, started it for just a minute, no water

Status
Not open for further replies.