1996 Gamefisher 9.9 thumping

josh01

Recruit
I just got this motor and it idles and runs good up to about 1/3 throttle. Over 1/3 throttle it sounds like something is hitting inside and the whole motor shakes. It sounds and feels like I'm hitting bottom but I'm not. If I just go slow it runs great. I don't know were to start I can't really afford to take it anywhere.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Gamefisher 9.9 thumping

Most likely a worn clutch dog. A normal wear item.A fairly easy repair for the mechanically inclined.

josh01

Recruit

Thank you, I am going to take the lower off tonight and check it out.

josh01

Recruit

Last night I got brave and pulled the lower end apart. The pinion gear is torn up but the forward and reverse gears are both fine. The clutch dogs also look fine they still have square notches. Everything looks good except the pinion gear. What could have caused it to get chewed up, and how can I avoid that from happening again? Also, does anyone know what other motor pinion gear would fit since it is so hard to find a gamefisher one? My model # is 225.581998 -Thanks-

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

225 is a force motor you may be able to find a gear new or used.
There is a slim chance it uses a merc gearcase.Some of the newer Forces did use same merc stuff.Someone better informed may be along with better info.