Shifting problem

I have a 1996 200hp 2.5L Black Max. I went to put the motor in reverse when getting it off the trailer and it just grinded. Finally got it to pop into reverse and then it wouldn't come out. Even when I went to put it into foreward it was still throttling up in reverse! Then I didn't have foreward. I took the top off and the little piece at the end of the foreward/reverse cable had came out of place. I put it back on and had foreward but still did not have reverse and it was still giving just the grinding noise. Here's where it gets weird! I got the boat home and went to flush the motor out and had foreward and reverse no problem no grinding. I have been told the cable needs to be adjusted to give it a little more slack. Does that sound right? Just wanta few opinions before making an adjustment.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Shifting problem

When shifting while on the hose at home there was no load on the prop.

A stretched out cable will not have full travel to fully engage the shift dogs, no load, the prop turns fine, but once in the water it 'bounces' out of gear, rounding off the edges of the engagement dogs and will soon require replacement of the gear and shift slider, far more expensive than replacing that shift cable.

Re: Shifting problem

cables are only 4 months old and probably have 20 hrs on them. They have worked fine until now.