How to Lubricate cables on Mercruiser

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought my 88 Seville 18ft 4cylinder 18 months ago. I noticed the throttle lever can be a little sticky sometimes, how do I lube it?

Thanks!

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to Lubricate cables on Mercruiser

I dont think you can I asked this machanic before and he said I would have to get a new box because mine is stiff. But if you can please let me know

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How to Lubricate cables on Mercruiser

Gentelmen...
Throttle and fow/rev cables seldom get difficult to operate due to the control box..i say seldom because sometimes the levers do get stiff....In which case take out the 3-4 screws that secure the control box to the side of the boat..by taking out these screws..you've just opened the control box..the outside cover should pry away from the side the cables enter the box..nothing should fall out..once inside you can see how the cables attach to the control box..you can also see the levers..grease these connections while working the shift handle. NOW for the cables...most of the time the cables corrode from within..nothing you can do but replace them..sometimes you can try to dribble some oil down the inside of the cable..but look on e-bay or here on iboats..cables are not that expensive..better to replace than have one brake and leave you stranded..good day.