Ignition problem in 86 Jonson 150HP

hfilty

Cadet
I forgot to put the plug in the boat while I?m in the water, after that it start-having issued. It started after drain the water for a little while and it died in the water. Two weeks later it started but when I took it to the like it started and run for about 15 min then it died. I read in this forum similar issue and I fund out that some one change the stator and trigger and it solve the problem. So I changed the stator, time base, all 6 coils, solenoid and all 6 spar plug. After that it started and run for long time, just when I celebrated the fix it died again. Thanks to this forum I disconnect the kill switch wire (black/yellow), the engine started. One site of the engine was hot and the other was not as hot, I'm suspecting the power pack, but I changed them both last year. From what I read in this forum I think the ignition switch is the problem, but what if the engine got hot and it did what it supposed to do to kill the engine. The engine start fine with the black/yellow wire disconnected. My engine is 1986 Jonson 150HP, any feed back is very appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ignition problem in 86 Jonson 150HP

not very clear, did the motor go under water or partially under water.

hfilty

Cadet

Sorry, No the motor did not go under the water. Only inside where the battery the electrical wires, oil container. Just after incident it start dieing in the lake. I'm planning to replace the ignition switch for the first time, anything to look for while opening the shift thing?
After running for while I felt the ingnition I noticed one side is hotter than the other, what could cause this?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

no idea, watch for small parts in the control.