78 mercury 115

Dassault

Seaman
I am running a 1978 inline 6 116 on a 16 ft runabout with a 19 pitch prop. I am having issues with the motor bogging down, only when it is hot outside (90 degrees plus) and the water temp is warm (80 plus). I took the boat out a month a ago and it ran great, maybe bogging once in a two hour outing, in the cooler weather, 80 degree outside and 70 in the water. Now that it is warm and humid the motor struggles and bogs sometimes ( most of the time). I pulled the plugs while on the lake (after having problems) and all looked good except for the top one, i replaced it and continued, checked later and all the plugs checked out fine (ie not fouled). I rebuilt the carbs two years ago, completely, fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned tank, new hoses. Could this problem be caused by overheating? It has been going on for about three years. It seemed that the motor was pretty warm, obviously it is hot outside, but not to hot to touch. I also suspect jetting but the plugs all come out clean, telling me that it is running correctly. Checked compression in the cylinders, seems to be fine. Not sure where else to look. Any ideas?

Dassault

Seaman
Re: 78 mercury 115

Could this be a stator issue or coil? How do i check the stator and coil? I have spark when i pull the plugs and check each one.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

When was the last time the impeller was replaced?

Dassault

Seaman

Replaced the impeller last year, did the same thing last year as well.

Inline6

Cadet

I would open up the carb idle mixture screws 1/8th turn and see if that helps. If so try another 1/8th turn until there is no bog.

Inline6

Dassault

Seaman

I will have to try playing with the needles next time, makes sense seeing that as it gets hotter out, the mixture needs to be leaned out more, or maybe im too lean and the need to be richer in my case , but if you push the choke in during bogging situation, it gets worse, making me believe that they are in fact to rich possibly and may need to be leaned. either way ill try it out.
Thanks

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

that adjustment is for idle only the run jet is a fixed size and can not be adjusted
that motor has only 1 coil.. the ingintion is powered from the battery. the stator/rectifier charges the battery. that means motor will run without a stator untill battery gets low

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

If you want to adjust the mixture start at lightly seated and 1 1/4 turns out on each carb