7.5 gamefisher running poorly

Millerdvr

Cadet
It is a late seventies model, with the tecumseh power head. It starts and idles fine and will troll all day long but when I gun it to full power it will run for about 4-5 seconds then it bogs down and dies. If i hurry up and power back to idle and shift speed it will keep running. It worked fine last month but all of a sudden it does this, I changed out the plug and it has clean fuel,
Anyone have any experience with this or any answers how to resolve this??
Please help before I make an anchor out of it, I really have been happy with it until now and don't want to get stranded.
If you need more info feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Chris

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 7.5 gamefisher running poorly

It sounds like you have a clogged high speed jet, a sticking needle valve or the float is set too low. If it worked fine and suddenly doesn't, I would go for the HS jet route. Just pinch the fuel line, remove the bowl, remove the Hs jet adjuster needle and blow air into the jet hole. Reassemble with the HS jet set to 2 turns, start it up, throttle it up quickly (do this on the water), if it doesn't hesitate turn the screw in 1/4 turn, repeat, if it hesitates, unscrew it 1/2 turn.

The 7.5 will live forever, but the engine mounted tank usually means very few people clean out the debris from inside the tank. Just the nature of the beast. I loved my 7.5, although I likely lost a good bit of hearing because of it :eek:

Millerdvr

Cadet

where is the high speed jet needle located ? I removed the carb and removed the bowl but couldn't fing anything resembling a needle. I looked at the sears parts list but no help there.

Thanks Chris

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry for the horrendously late reply. Soemtime iboats just marks new posts read when they aren't. The HS jet is the needle that you can adjust with a screwdriver. It looks like a screw with a spring around it. It actually come completely off is your unscrew it far enough. From there (with the bowl removed), blow into the hole with compressed air. If you have some itty bitty wire, poke it in there, as there is a tiny passageway in there that clogs very easily. Some people soak the carb in carb cleaner, but I've never had to and it makes me worry about the gaskets.

Hope you already found the issue, but if not, maybe that will help.

Millerdvr

Cadet

thanks, will give it a shot. I am assuming that the screw you are reffering to is what they call the idle adjustment screw? I will put some air to it, I have already poked some wire through it but I think there is another passage along that hole and will try to blow it out.

Chris