Slave Solenoid - Am I Crazy?

Mikeyp

Recruit
Hi All - after figuring out the slave solenoid on the Mercrusiers 3.0 135 Alpha controls the starter solenoid (thanks guys - that was the answer - but now I do have 2 starters ) I bought a new slave here and it looked obvious. But either I am missing something very simple - or there is a real, real specialized tool for this? The slave is not bolted into the threaded holes on the block - like any idiot would expect. It is on a flat bracket and that bracket is bolted into little wings that lay flush on the block with NUTS on the back. There is about 3/8" clearance, which might work to get a brace on the nuts - but they are in a tiny recess into the block. There is about 1.5" of opening with only bottom access and the nuts are well off to the sides underneath. I cannot get any kind of socket, plier, wrench or any tool on them! Can't even wedge them with s crew driver. Of course, they are turning with the bolts when I try to remove. Of course. I have never seen anything like this. Please - is there a real simple solution I am missing - or does Mercury make a special tool just for this???

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Slave Solenoid - Am I Crazy?

Please - is there a real simple solution I am missing -

Ayuh,... Take off the bracket it's bolted too,+ Then unbolt it from it...

Mikeyp

Recruit

Hi Guys - the bracket I refer to is not the alloy bracket on the back of the slave itself - but is a cast-molded bracket that is part of the block! Nothing to remove. At least - can't see any - and I just went over and looked again to be sure. Its part of the blockand the back of the solenoid sits ALMOST flush on it. Mp

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would be a good time to post a picture of what you have, and maybe post a year or SN of you engine. Things do change from year to year.