Which battery?

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 1982 485, cant seem to find the battery spec any where, does any body know what AH rating should be? it has 90ah at the moment, green light and hydrometer both say ok, but turns engine slowly, if i jump from leisure battery 105ah, all bursts into life if i fit 125ah will this do any harm?

flargin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Which battery?

I have 1982 485, cant seem to find the battery spec any where, does any body know what AH rating should be? it has 90ah at the moment, green light and hydrometer both say ok, but turns engine slowly, if i jump from leisure battery 105ah, all bursts into life if i fit 125ah will this do any harm?

For cranking, go with a starting battery, and you will be concerned with Cold Cranking Amps. Most of the commercial full size batteries will have 500 CCA's and that should be fine for yours.

Deep cycle, measured in AH, don't really like to give up their power all at once... the key difference between the two.

you can use a "dual Purpose" battery as well.

btw, I do no know the CCA for your 485, so someone may correct me, but most only take 200-300 CCA to start.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

but since I now see you are from the other side of the pond... My response may be completely irrelevant. If it is, nevermind...:rolleyes:

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no not irrelevant at all,lots of useful info, many thanks for taking the time to reply, Bill

cr2k

Captain

The starter (or any electrical device) will only draw the amperage it needs so there is no worry about using a higher capacity battery. But as stated above you are more concerned with cranking amps.