What kind of boat?

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this is a hard question.

I currently have an 18' closed bow ski boat with a deep v. It seats six, but I have a wife and three kids, so with all the geat I take a seat out and it works, but is full. I want something that we can hang out on during the day, but we tend to just sit at the beach and not use the boat because the kids get hot on it. Around here we use the boat in small lakes that we trailer to and pull out at the end of the day. I am planning on buying a boat next year with a budget of 10k-15k. I am also wanting to get a camper two years later with a similar budget.

So, here's the problem. In order to go camping and boating I have to load up a camper and boat and take two trucks (which I have). This is not the end of the world for a local trip, but would be frustrating on a long trip. We like to go on one trip to a big lake every year about 6 hours away.

I had been thinking about upgrading to a 21-23' open bow ski boat or deck type boat with a bimini top. A cuddy cabin would be nice to put the kids to nap in (this is a real problem with taking the kids - that they need to take naps and we have to figure out how to do this), but I think it would be too hot and it takes up a lot of deck room. This is leading me to think harder about a cabin type cruiser or houseboat and forgoing the camper all together. I would have to keep my existing boat and fix it up to use for skiing and other day activities, but it's easy to launch.

I think i I were to get a cruiser or houseboat I would want it to be trailerable, have one bedroom, and sleep at least six and preferably 8. I woudl want somethign that I can put in big lakes or rivers and do a destination or vacation type thing and tow my little boat behind.

Does a boat like this exist? How much will it cost to find one like it? Is there a reason not to do this?