Mercury Tracker 90 been sitting....

super10brss

Recruit
Long story short a friend of mine is letting me use his lake house for the 4th.... he has a nice pontoon with a Mercury Tracker 90 on it... It is a fairly newer boat (not sure what year model but I am sure it is in the 2000's)

Yesterday I go over (with a charged battery) and try to start it... no luck... just spins over...

The boat ran last year some... year before it ran allot... I know the gas is bad... I am going to drain the gas replace the inline fuel filter (Sierra 18-7844) and replace the spark plugs (not sure which ones I need here).....

So I guess my question is what are the chances that new gas with filter and new plugs will get this thing running? I called a local marine and of course they need the serieal number (which I do not have right now.. but will get tonight) to get me the parts...

And of course they said just bring it in and we can look at it for ya... "it may need the carbs rebuilt"..."yea that thing has 3 carbs" they said the Merc rebuild kit is like $37-$38 each :eek: but I was looking online and Sierra has just the gasket kits for the carbs for like $7-$8....

Sooooo what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for the help.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Mercury Tracker 90 been sitting....

Long story short a friend of mine is letting me use his lake house for the 4th.... he has a nice pontoon with a Mercury Tracker 90 on it... It is a fairly newer boat (not sure what year model but I am sure it is in the 2000's)

Yesterday I go over (with a charged battery) and try to start it... no luck... just spins over...

The boat ran last year some... year before it ran allot... I know the gas is bad... I am going to drain the gas replace the inline fuel filter (Sierra 18-7844) and replace the spark plugs (not sure which ones I need here).....

So I guess my question is what are the chances that new gas with filter and new plugs will get this thing running? I called a local marine and of course they need the serieal number (which I do not have right now.. but will get tonight) to get me the parts...

And of course they said just bring it in and we can look at it for ya... "it may need the carbs rebuilt"..."yea that thing has 3 carbs" they said the Merc rebuild kit is like $37-$38 each :eek: but I was looking online and Sierra has just the gasket kits for the carbs for like $7-$8....

Sooooo what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for the help.

Clean it out and gas it up like you say and try it. If some of the cyls don't run, it's probably carb time. try it before you put plugs in. They aren't hurt by time, and it doesn't look like he fogged it. At any rate, even if it's full of fogging oil, or has flooded forward 2 cycle oil that burns off, there's no sense in wiping out new plugs. Wipe out the old ones, then change them if needed.

hope it helps
John

super10brss

Recruit
Re: Mercury Tracker 90 been sitting....

Drained the old fuel... bypassed the inline fuel filter.. .new gas and she fired right up.... It runs ok but I did stop by the local boat shop and picked up new spark plugs and a fuel filter...

One thing... the local boat shop had two spark plugs I could pick from... NGK Buhw-2 or the NGK Buhzhw..... they said the second one had a resister in it to keep from radio interference (like stereo interference).?.?.?.... I bought the one with out the resister... any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the help guys. :)