New Starcraft Owner

jumboshrimp

Cadet
So I have a project 18 Chieftan w/120 MerCruiser i/o but I don't know what year it is to get some parts. Is it true the last two #'s of the serial # is your manufacture year? I have a 1955 ? I still would have bought her because I have vision but I am losing it as I can't seem to get her mobile, she is old 50's-70's pre Alpha so will any pre alpha stern-drive setup bolt right on?
Has anyone converted one of these to an outboard and made a thread of it?
I've tried to get some help around here but she is so old they can't help me.Thanks I'l get some pics here tommorow

Nippissinger

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New Starcraft Owner

I didn't see the relevance to the last 2 numbers representing the year, but if you CHECK HERE....you might find what you are looking for...

Good Luck...
Will

jumboshrimp

Cadet

Great Nippissinger appreciate the info, I just learned that my motor was manufactured in '84 registered in '85 and I believe I can hook up an Alpha 1st Generartion leg w/2:1 gear ratio to her ! Any body have one kicking around LoL! This development is why I love forums

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome aboard !

Gotta love those Starcrafts.

Alpha 1 on back would fit any of the older mercruiser's they are interchagable.
Do you have the 2.5 mercruiser in that Starcraft ?

Why do you want to convert it to a outboard ?

That 120 is fuel efficent in a aluminum hull.

jumboshrimp

Cadet
Excitedly Optamisitc Starcraft Owner

Excitedly Optamisitc Starcraft Owner

Well Aplaloosa from further research converting to outboard sounds like a bad idea. So I removed the old sterndrive unit today and have to pick up a couple tilt sending units/limiting unit tommorow before I put on the new bellows and old leg as I am on a budget and still have fuel pump and/or carb promlems to figure out andthe compression isn't as high as I would have liked Yes I have the old duke in there 2.5 L Thanks for askin. Any words of wisdom when replaceing bellows etc are APPRECIATED GREATLY
How about some pics!

Attachments

• Starcraft 001.jpg
    Starcraft 001.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1
  • Starcraft 002.jpg
    Starcraft 002.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Starcraft 004.jpg
    Starcraft 004.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Starcraft 005.jpg
    Starcraft 005.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hope you have better luck than me. I bought a nice looking 86 starcraft 21 foot cuddy cabine with a merc. 140hp (iron duke). Looks where misleading.
What I found was a bunch of work needed done to get her ready for ocean fishing, then the next 4 years of use showed more issues.
I have replaced the floor and almost all the wood in the whole boat transom included, about the only wood I have not replaced is just the floor under the seats in the cuddy cabin every thing else wood has been replaced. I had a timing gear fail on the engine two years ago, replaced with a brand new iron duke engine, last year the outdrive gears went out, replaced with a new se106 upper/lower and many other parts to go along with it. I have been through the boat stem to stern, but never for the same thing twice.
Came in on my 15hp kicker once, coast guard pulled me in the other time.
I hope the 2009 season is great. I bought a starcraft because I could afford it, light weight, and wanted a 20+ foot cuddy cabin boat that did not have a v-8 that burn't lots of fuel.
I can run 2-4 miles per gallon with 4-5 pobs and fishing gear depending on ocean conditions. 40 mile halibut round trip takes about 20-22 gallons of fuel, wish I had more fuel ( twin 16 gallon tanks) always take a spare 6 gallons, plus 6 gallons 2stroke gas for my kicker. i would recommend a kicker that get you back to dock with an older boat. I just switched out my 15 hp for my dads 25hp. The 15hp 2-stroke Johnson would push the boat 5 mph with a 4 blade solar prop. With new engine (35 hrs) and new outdrive I hope to have no more problems.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Elkhunter
Changing the bellows is a pain in the *&(*& job. I would change both bellows and I would replace the shift cable , not the shift cable bellows but the whole lower cable.

That way you know that you are good for the next 7-10 years. I would look on Ebay for parts and a bellows tool which does make the job a little easier. Don't forget the bellows adhesive.

Do not do this job with little children around they will hear words they never heard before. It's not a hard job but time consuming to do it right.

On the bellows I sometimes warm them up so they stretch a little easier a hair dryer will work.

Keep me posted and ask away any ? you have.

If you need a fuel pump go to Napa and get part# NFP M3530 ABOUT $45.00 They also have the carb kit also about $25.00.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Done all that. All new rubber in the whole outdrive, engine, fuel tanks. I did bit the bullet for a marine fuel pump so if the fuel pump goes bad it does not dump gas in the crank case or the boat. there is a tube that puts the fuel back up to the carb to keep gas fumes out of the boat. The old engine had a automotive fuel pump. When I replaced the engine with a brand new 3.0 crate engine I bought a new distributor and new fuel pump. I have a automotive starter on it and automotive alternator.
When I changed the bellows I also had to change the bottom pin/bearing in the outdrive, someone prior to me forgot the grease the outdrive piviot bearing and it rusted and went bad.
One wierd thing that happened when I changed the motor. The old motor had the large exhaust/intake ports, new one has smaller exhaust/intake ports. The new engine with the old carb ran too rich, I had to jet the carb down with the new engine. i had 50/51 jet (factor rebuilt carb), I think I have a 48/49 installed and the plugs look nice. Ideal would be a pair 49 jets.

jumboshrimp

Cadet
Thanks for great info

Thanks for great info

Thanks you guys I just did my bellows and it was ... challenging, a new gasket kit & lube and I am getting wet. I wanted to do more but time and money are factors too. I still have carb & fuel pump issues due to p/o neglect and some electrical no doubt. :confused:

jumboshrimp

Cadet

So I am water tight and fixed the fuel pump but will need a carb kit but the kit for my carb is over $80 ??? *(^%$ Appaloosa you mentioned a $25 one? Probably for a rochester 2barrel mine is a MCM120 1389 8490
I really got to get on the water...