Bunk Replacement (will this work)?

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok
I took the boat out for it's first trip of the season and found that the bunks are in need of repair. Currently the bunks are 2X6 wood with your typical carpet. I have access to some 1 1/2"X 5" aluminum tube that I think would work nicely. I don't know if the lack of flex (as compared to wood) would be hard on the hull. I do know it will be the last time they ever need replacement. :D
So what do you think? Go for the aluminum lifetime bunks or go with wood replacements??

fasassvalk

Seaman
Re: Bunk Replacement (will this work)?

Only problem I see would be if the carpet wears out or aluminum end/edges get exposed It will be alot harder on your hull and finish than wood (gouging)

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The bunks will last a lifetime but will your hull? You always make the parts you want to wear out first out of a softer material. No matter what the boat moves on the bunks and I think the aluminum would wear through the carpet rather fast, then into your hull. Next time mine need replaced I think I'll go with TREX decking. A little expensive but softer than the hull and should never wear out.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

As it turns out the aluminum is too stiff so I won't be using it.
My bunks are curved to the shape of the hull. The boat sits nicely cradled and well supported and I want to keep it that way.
The plan was to use the plastic sliders on the aluminum with no carpet.
The Trex sounds like a good idea but I don't know if it's available in Yellowknife. :confused:
If it is does it come in 2"X6"X12' lengths?

Thanks for the input guy's!!! :D