Steering Questions

Amjaclem

Recruit
I have a 2005 TMC 25' Pontoon with a Honda 40hp 4 stroke engine. My motor was in the full up position with the tilt locks engaged so the motor could not go up and down. My daughter had got on the boat and was pretending to drive. At that time she had turned the steering wheel and it came out of (or broke loose) from being in what I thought was a steering wheel lock position, and then was able to be turned all the way around very easy but did not turn the motor. Once I turned it to the left all the way it seemed to return to the locked position again. I then took the tilt locks off and had a neighbor watch the motor as I turned the steering wheel to see if the motor still turned ok. The motor did turn with the steering wheel, so at this point I am not exactly sure what happened. I just want to make sure that there is not something significantly wrong or that may be broke that would affect the steering while we are boating. When the steering wheel is in the "locked position" it will just slightly go back and forth, just like a car steering wheel. Please help me find out what happened.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering Questions

I have never heard of a boat steering wheel with a "lock" position. I think it's just harder to turn when you have the outboard tilted up because you essentially have to lift the motor off it's side to turn it. I think what happened is the key that holds the steering wheel in position on the steering shaft broke. Pull your wheel and check it out.