9.9 Idleing issues

bababouie33

Recruit
Hey guys, first post after searching for info through the search function. I have what I believe to be an 89 9.9hp merc outboard with some crankyness. Serial #OA744209 (I used the sticky to find the link to cross reference at Maxrules.

Dad used it for years as a trolling motor on an 18' fiberglass and never had an issue, now I've got it on the back of my 14' aluminium. I can't seem to get it to idle properly. 1st time out with it, I spent and hour at the dock starting, letting it run in neutral, and then having to restart because it would shut down after 30 seconds at idle speed in neutral. Then, being young and impatient, I took off from the dock and once at full throttle, it sounded and acted fine. I figured hadn't been used in a year or so, blend of older/newer gas maybe was the issue so I thought what the hell, may as well troll for awhile......No sooner do I get the riggers set and cough, cough, stall. Restart took 10 pulls with/without choke, but again the idle was crappy. Had to flip it into gear quickly and rev up a little if I didn't want it to stall again. Back across the lake at full throttle was fine, pull into dock and into neutral....All sounded and looked good. No stalling. Fast Fwd. to trip number 2. Same deal with the crappy idle and the stalling. Difference was this time, it would run at slower throttle, but still no where slow enough to troll. Turning the idle speed knob either direction while at slow speed or rpm seemed to cause it to stall.

I did change the spark plug and checked the leg oil before the 1st trip out. I really should have tossed the gas and started fresh, could this be the issue ? Also, oil to gas ratio for us Metric folk.....50:1 meaning 25L of gas to .5L of oil ?

Any suggestions on where to begin ?

Thanks for any suggestions.