'77 Mercury 20 HP Starter Problem

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
I have this old '77 20 HP engine that has been setting for about 18 months. It has electric start and worked fine 18 months ago. Now the starter just spins and the crank gear does not spin up and engage the flywheel. I took the starter off and I was able to move the crank gear up by hand. I greased the shaft and reinstalled but the same thing is still happening. I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Larry

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: '77 Mercury 20 HP Starter Problem

Make sure the battery is fully charged. Check all battery connections, they must be very clean and tight. Check all battery lugs for any signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it. If all that is good have your starter tested at your local auto electric shop. They can also rebuild it for you if needed.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Battery is fully charged, all connections are clean and tight. The starter motor spins at full speed but the Bendex is not throwing the starter gear to the flywheel.

Laddies

Banned

Never grease a starter bendix it causes them to stick worse, use light oil or dry lube. If 1 brush is stuck some times the starter don't start quick enough to engage the gear but will still turn up close to speed.