Engine Sputters After Sitting

buffdaddy110

Cadet
This was my situation today. I had been boating for awhile, and shut the boat off and we swam for about an hour. When I started the boat it idled incredibly low and sputtered. When it did start this is what it did, but sometimes I couldn't get it start at all. This went on for about 15 minutes, and then someone stopped and towed me in. i sat at the dock for awhile, and then all of a sudden it started just fine. I ran it and made sure everything was fine, which it was, so I carried on with my day. Unfortunately, it happened again later that afternoon. Shut the boat off, swam for about an hour, and when I went to start it, same thing happened. this time I tried to start it for about 15 minutes, got it running, and went back to the dock and ended my day. This happened once last year, but never happened again until now. I'm confused as to why it would do this after sitting doing nothing for an extended period of time.

I have a 2008 Crownline 210 LS Razor edition with the 5.0 Liter MPI (fuel injected)

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Engine Sputters After Sitting

Was it a hot day for you today And Also last time it did it last year? Man it should not do that with the new gen 3 cool fuel system. I have seen some air in the fuel system befor, Try this next time with a rag in hand on top of the engine find the fuel rail and find the the black cap that looks like a tire valve stem cap and unscrew it and push in the center needel to release any air and some fuel then turn the key on and off then try to start it and see if it will fire off. Also get it in to the dealer before any warranty runs out.

buffdaddy110

Cadet
Re: Engine Sputters After Sitting

I had a friend look at for me and found all 4 fuel filters clogged, so we know I have a water in the fuel. I'm going to put fuel stabilizer in the tank to evaporate the water and replace the filters. The filters themselves re $162.00, so hopefully this is the only problem.