eBay item warranty dilemma

one more cast

Captain
We purchased a new digital camera from eBay as a Christmas gift. The LCD display was damaged when opened so we sent the camera to Fiji. They will not cover it under warranty without a receipt they tell me. I write to the seller and he sends me a store receipt dated June 2005. Now Fuji will still not honor the warranty. The sellers auction stated new camera with warranty. I wrote to seller but he has not yet responded. I'm guessing he will do nothing and if that is the case what is the best way to handle this?

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: eBay item warranty dilemma

Personaly I think if the seller said it came with a warranty its now his fault, as you bought it under the impression that the camera had one. Was it also described as "new in box"? and was it sealed when you got it?<br /><br />I don;t know what I would do in that situation, maybe threaten the seller saying that you WILL file a complaint against him with ebay or something. If he doesnt respond then do so......Was it Paypal protected??

one more cast

Captain

Yes it was "new in box" stated.I did use paypay to purchase it but not sure if its covered by them. <br />EDIT: It was paypal protected so if the seller don't come through I will try contacting paypal.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It sounds as if it should almost be a shipping claim. Did it come UPS was it insured?

eeboater

Commander

Did you buy the item with a credit card? MAybe there is insurance on the purchase that way.<br /><br />Otherwise, I'd start claiming I never received the item from the seller.<br /><br />Sean

one more cast

Captain

It was sent confirmed mail. The box wasn't damaged and the camera looked fine. The LCD screen was just black and when I sent it in they said it was cracked. I believe it was from the factory this way. They also said it had dust in it. This thing was sent in after being out of the sealed box for one or two days. I think Fugi is just trying to get out of the warranty. First they said that it would be covered under warranty if I sent in the receipt and now they are telling me that a cracked LCD is my fault or the stores fault. The Target receipt expired in Dec 2005. Also the seller is a power seller with 350 100% positive feedback so maybe he will make it right.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

OMC.<br />If the camera had a 12mth warranty when new then a June 2005 purchase date is still under warranty.<br /><br />I would notify Paypal now, just let them know that you think there might be a problem, you may find that by the time you have waited for the seller make contact you might have run out of time to make a claim against them.<br /><br />Print off a copy of the auction page from Ebay as well, they are delisted after 30 days, if you have to take further action against the seller you will need it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to ebay. I think they have a policy about items not meeting the description. I would expect them to contact the seller and ask for a replacement based on his description.

ndemge

Commander

I would start the paypal claim process, that will get the other guy moving. It's not a bad mark on him, nobody can see how many claims are there, but man does it get a fire set upder people to make things right in my experience.

one more cast

Captain

Thanks everybody, I am printing the auction and starting a paypal or ebay claim.

one more cast

Captain

The seller emailed me and advised me to "call fuji and give them hell" I did so and they are now sending me a replacement. :D