Smart tab location help

cstudep

Cadet
After hearing nothing but good things about smart tabs I decided to buy a set so I could hopefully obtain a slower plane speed for pulling my young kids on the tube and teaching them how to ski, not to mention all the other benefits of having them.

Now I have the problem of where to mount the things with the hull design that my boat has. If anyone can help I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.

As you can see in the pictures below if I center the tab in the 6" area closest to the edge it puts them pretty close to the outside of the boat since the tabs themselves are wider than 6". If I center them in the 2nd 6" area they are considerably farther from the outside then the recommended 5". The only other option is to center it over the first little 3" area, whatever it is called? But I do not know if that is a good idea or not.

Dims.jpg

ST2.jpg

ST1.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Smart tab location help

i was going to use "paint" and mark the pics, but computer won't let me. run it from the outer most flat area, center it on that second 3 inch off set. like your last picture.

cstudep

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. That is where I wanted to mount it based off all the info they gave, I just wasn't sure if it was a good idea with that 3" area that jutted out.

Is this basically what you mean?
ST3.jpg

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Our recommendation for best performance is not cast in stone. For best side to side stability, the farther apart the tabs are the more stability. This does not mean that if you must move in toward the center more that the stability will not improve, it simply means that the best is to mount them outboard, just inside of the chine.

The strakes which run from the bow area to the back can be ignored when it comes to mounting locations.

In the pictures above I would center the plate over the (3") Strake.

cstudep

Cadet

Strake........That is the word I was looking for. I am new to boating and had heard what they were before but for the life of me could not remember what they were called.

Thanks for the reply, That is where I will mount them.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's really nice to know that the inventor and i agreed on placement. i learning John.

cstudep

Cadet

Yes great job! :)

I also think it is way beyond cool that someone from the company actually posts here to help people. I love spending my hard earned money with companies that actually deserve the business and these guys certainly do IMO.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Thanks for all the support! We try!