Extra gaskets in carb kit?

rainbro

Cadet
Hi ,I disassembled the carb on my 87 mercury 9.9.There are 2 extra gaskets for the fuel pump.Was something not put together properly? Are these for a different application? Does anyone have an exploded view of this carburetor? It seems the extra gasket is made from a very thin membrane and it has "flap" which covers the inlet and outlet of fuel.Any help is appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Extra gaskets in carb kit?

I do not have specific klnowledge on your application, however, some of the merc gasket kits have extra stuff, since they are made for a range of motor.

Go on the crowleymarine.com web site and look up you motor. It will specifically show the exact parts.

rainbro

Cadet
Re: Extra gaskets in carb kit?

Thanks Chris1956, the crowley site helped,however the engine still ran very poorly.I noticed water spitting from the front of the engine.Upon inspection ,I noticed milky crap coming out of cylinder #2 spark plug.When I plugged the telltale,it bubbled worse.I pulled the powerhead and found the main seal pretty much missing,no sealing whatsoever,I can''t believe it even runs.Is this common?do you have any idea what happened? If the exhaust gasket was leaking could it have melted the lower seal? Do I have to split the case to install a new seal? Thanks again for all help.I will be investing in a manual