Lieutenant Commander
Re: Thousand dollar water pump WTF... Help

NAPA marine

emarkd

Cadet

Not sure what the rules are around here for plugging other online retailers, but I'd check with Marine Parts Express. I'm not including a link but Google should fill in the blanks. Give them a call. I've ordered several parts for my AQ125A from them for what I thought were reasonable prices.

captmello

Captain

Thought you repowered to 131?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If you cannot find one reasonably priced, bring it to a small machine shop and have some new bushings and a shaft fabricated, and have the case machined for new off-the-shelf seals. I have a local guy that does this kind of work for me all the time. I'm always fixing something old that can be troublesome to find parts for. Making bronze bushings and stainless steel shafts is easy work for these guys. Might spend a couple of hundred bucks, but it's much cheaper than the alternative, and you'll be giving a local person with valuable skills some work. Who knows, maybe this will be the start of an AQ125 pump rebuild company...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

FWC, use a car pump

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

FWC, use a car pump

That's the problem with the Volvo 4 cylinder SOHC engines. The circ pumps are designed to work with the heat exchanger. Completely different from the automotive version.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I dont work on the volvo line but what is the difference . the pump circulates coolant .Does the pump care if it`s in a heat exchanger or a radiator system?
Volume, direction of circulation ,or what?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

:eek:

Last year I had to replace a water pump on our Home owners association Toro "Wide Area" Mower. It's powered by a Mitsubishi 4cyl diesel. Toro gets $500 for a water pump. :eek: Even John Deere doesn't charge that much for a lousy water pump!!

Then I thought that was the most I have ever seen a water pump cost.......I guess I was wrong...(I'm frequently wrong!)

Even Doug Russell wants $800+ for your pump.

You might try http://www.waterpumpkit.com/technicalinformation.html Or other water pump rebuilders. There seems to be a lot of them out there....

That's where I'm going on the next one I need for the Toro/Mitsubishi.

Cheers,

Rick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I dont work on the volvo line but what is the difference . the pump circulates coolant .Does the pump care if it`s in a heat exchanger or a radiator system?
Volume, direction of circulation ,or what?

The housing is built completely different from the automotive version, the heat exchanger and the waterpump are designed to fit together with orings and copper tubes and work as one. In a car, you just have a hose going to the radiator no heat exchanger.
You have to see one to really understand.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First thanks to every one for the info, the pump I have works, but I have ran into a problem. I recently bought a aq131d to repower my blown 125a. The engine block casting is the same but the cooling system is different. I have the complete and working 125a system, but not the 131d. So, I tried putting the 125 system on the 131 and it is about 1 inch to big over all. Also, the water pump is different. The 125 system pushed together the 131 uses a 1.5 inch hose to pump AF.

So now I am going to have to fabricate something to make the 125 fit the 131 or take and change the entire cooling system over ... But still it seems there may be some difference which doesnt make since, because the block is cut the same way.

I will take some pics tonight and I will post my results. But, its is 100 degrees in my garage right now and so i am waiting for the sun to calm down before working. Bottom line this is one of the gotchas that got me so I am working on it. And in case any one esle wants to do aswitch like this the laternator bracket is different.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Thank you Don, never knew that about the Volvo.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok so the 125 system will not fit the 131. The water pump housing is different on the block. So I need a 131 system any one know where I can get the heat exchanger used? Or I am going to mount the exchanger on the manifold and use hoses to plumb it. What would be the harm with this? I can fit a 1 1/2 inch hose around all of the ins and outs of the exchanger