Fuel economy I/O Vs Outboard

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is a Outboard more fuel eff. Than a I/O ????

By how much ??

V6 could sucks up how much gas sking or tubing??

just would like some input before i buy a boat

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fuel economy I/O Vs Outboard

I've got a Volvo AQ131D (four-banger I/O) and for general boating - putting around, speeding here and there, pulling a tube - it does GREAT in terms of fuel economy.

When I was looking to make a boat purchase last year I avoided outboards. Most in my price range were still 2 cycle and, I may be incorrect, but because of the way a 2 cycle operates I believe they burn more fuel.

I also avoided v-6 and v-8 motors because of the obvious economy issues. I bought my boat last August when gas was still $3.75/gal here in Ohio.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

It depends.

How you use the boat and what motors and boats we are talking about make more difference than just O/B vs. I/O.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

New outboards are suppose to be pretty efficient.
The economy difference between a V6 an a I4 are very marginal. The I4 has to work much harder than a V6 or V8 for similar speed. Between the I/O's I would take the biggest one I could afford.
Outboards are too ugly for me to consider in any boat I purchase.:D

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK im looking a a V6 I/O for skiiing and tubing. Mabey a little crusing around too.

So i take it a inboard is better?

Are they easier to work on ??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i/o are much harder to maintain, unless you like laying on your belly, and using the brail system to change plugs, and oil filters, starters, etc. access is the main problem.

both i/o and ob, have there pluses and minuses.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Any boat it going to get miserable efficiency compared to a car. The difference from one motor to the next may be noticeable if you are using your boat many 100s of hours in one season (think commercial use). However, for the occasional, recreational use the difference really wont amount to that much.

I like outboards better from a maintenance standpoint. A two stroke only "needs" to have the impeller changed every couple years. Other than that a lower unit oil change every fall is all you have to do. If you do have issues the motor is hanging right there in your face when you stand behind the boat.

In your situation I would get the boat that best fits your budget and get the biggest motor you can afford. Keep in mind that an outboard requires significantly less "power" to get the same performance. Typically an outboard weighs much less and therefore requires less power to get the boat to perform the same.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I/Os and the new fuel injected outboards are far more efficient than at any timei in the past. However, it does depend how you run the boat. Run around wide open all of the town and you will be filling the boat frequently.

I have had and like both for different reasons. In a sport boat, I prefer and I/O. It looks cleaner and usually there is a nice swim deck or other easy access from the rear.

One thing I prefer about outboards is the easy access to everything for maintenance. I/O can be in tight spaces and access to everything can be a challenge.