Volvo - problems with 'catching' in gear

chrisl1977

Recruit
I recently purchased an '87 Bayliner Capri Cuddy with a Volva penta inboard engine. The boat is in fair shape for it's age, and when first started it runs pretty good. However, once I've run it full throttle for a while, it begins hesitating as if it's starving for fuel/air if I cut power and then try to return to anything more than a slow troll.

Originally I thought this was the air intake, but I've cleaned that as best I can see. Also, I noticed yesterday that this problem only occurs when the engine is in gear. If I put it in neutral and and rev the engine, it works perfectly.

So I'm confused - where should I begin my investigation? :confused:

TIA for any help - Chris

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Volvo - problems with 'catching' in gear

Testing in neutral will not reveal a fuel delivery problem, there is simply not enough load on the engine for it to outpace the carb or fuel pump.

When was the last time all the fuel filters were replaced?

When was last full tuneup including points, condensor, cap, rotor, sparkplugs, dwell and timing set, carb work?

chrisl1977

Recruit

I have no idea when the engine was last tuned, but I would imagine it was quite a while ago. I've worked on engines before, but never marine engines. Is this something I could do myself?

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you've changed spark plugs in a car, you can do this. Its a bit more awkward to work on, but basically its just a car engine with funky plumbing. The cap, rotor, points, and plug wires are basically the same as a car. Fuel filter is usually a spin-on type, not much different than changing an oil filter. There may also be a filter right at the side of the carb that will need changing. If its got one, make sure you use a line wrench to pull the fittings apart, otherwise they will round off and its a big pain to deal with at that point.