Repairing existing 145 gal. alum tanks

chris07732

Recruit
Has anyone heard of relining the tanks with rubber, similar to auto racing fuel cells? Researching gas tank posts, came across someone who glassed his tanks externally, and then re-installed them. Does anyone have any comments on that procedure? Trying to avoid $800-1000/tank cost. tia.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repairing existing 145 gal. alum tanks

I remember reading a fix in a back issue of Passagemaker magazine. Maybe a year ago but if you contact them I'm sure they'll send you a copy.

D

DJ

chris,<br /><br />Forget the "bladder" idea. YOU DO NOT EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT GAS FUMES IN THE BILGE. Read-KABOOM!!!!<br /><br />True, baldders are used in race cars, under controlled conditions with pristine new tank interiors.<br /><br />If the tanks are that bad, there is NO cure except replacement. Fiberglassing the outside of them is a patch-at best.<br /><br />Don't fool around with gasoline.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Too bad you didn't catch me a few months ago, parting out my Chris Craft. Sold a slightly used pair of custom 145 gal. al. talks for a couple of bills. Since boating seasons winding down, at least up here, here's what I did. Called a few welding shops for quotes, paid for the aluminum up front, gave em the winter to get the job done, in their "down time". Wasn't all that much $$$$ on the big picture, swear the boat ran better/faster too! Or find some tanks worth salvaging, but I agree, lose the old ones. Don't waste your time or risk any lives.............