evenrude not planning out

Newbie518

Cadet
Hi all,
I am new to boating so please help me out.
I just got a 1987 16' starcraft with a 60 hp evenrude outboard on it. My problem is if I just have me and the wife in the boat the boat comes right out of the water and trims out. but if i have our 14 year old daughter or the inlaw in the boat everyone has got to go to the front of the boat (open bow) for it to trim out.
what i do is trim the motor all the way down and take off without adjusting the trim. is this wrong or is it the prop? i have no clue PLEASE HELP!!!
even though i like just the 2 of us on the boat it would be nice to have others with us. the boat is rated for 7 people 870 lbs or 120hp
thanks in advance for the help..

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: evenrude not planning out

Your underpowered badly.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Under powered or not, balance in a boat is critical for proper performance. If the boat comes up on trim quickly with people moving forward, consider trim tabs.
Bennett makes a set that is easy to install and use. A lot cheaper than a replacement motor.

Bifflefan

Commander

i also have almost the same boat, '74 16' with 85 HP. altho i have a totally different problem. i really dont think that its that under powered because i only have 25 more HP and mine will just about flip over if it throw 3/4 throttle to it from a stand still.
whats the prop size and pitch?
i have a 14 x 17 and the motor will push the boat alot faster than it wants to go.
i can get on plane with 6 people and very little speed.

Newbie518

Cadet

thanks crxess,
Do you know where i can get them and about how much they cost.
Thanks.
also my friend has a 16' mach1 with a 70hp suzuki and he can have 6 people in the boat and pull somneone on a tube. So thats why i dont think it is under powered.
thanks

Bifflefan

Commander

sorry its called "do i need trim tabs"
there is alot of good stuff in it so far.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, you will have to google around or check Ebay. That's were I picked mine up for about 1/4 regular cost. I installed them on a Very heavy 23' Sea Ray Weekender. Made a fantastic difference in boat control. Quick out of hole response. Perfect for tweaking trim. Independent L-R trim for passenger compensation.:D

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

60HP will get the boat on plane with the right prop and setup; My guess is that you will need to be in the 15 pitch range. The A/V plate above the prop should be even with or slightly higher than the bottom of the boat and parallel with the planing surface of the boat.

Newbie518

Cadet

If its not how do i adjust.. and should i try trimfoil?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Raise the motor on the transom to the next set of holes or enough to get the A/V plate at least even with the bottom of the boat.