Saving the finish on my new toy?

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all! I'm a newbie and I recently bought an old 1969 Chrysler Valiant 14' runabout w/ 70 hp Chrysler OB. I have posted some pictures of my son with the boat when we got her home. My question is what can I use to try and save the finish on the fiberglass? The hull is in excellent shape and was a vibrant red color at one time... now it is kind of pink!! The sides are very chalky and milky looking. Can I use good old rubbing compound to cut through and remove the discolorization? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
"Husker" Dan

Attachments

• valiant1.jpg
    valiant1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 0
  • valiant2.jpg
    valiant2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
  • valiant3.jpg
    valiant3.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0
  • valiant4.jpg
    valiant4.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Saving the finish on my new toy?

Dan wet sand it starting with 600 grit and working up to 1200 then buff it with Polishing compound then wax it :D.Welcome to iboats

Rick

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dan wet sand it starting with 600 grit and working up to 1200 then buff it with Polishing compound then wax it :D.Welcome to iboats

Rick

Thanks and Thanks Rick. I kind of had a feeling it was going to involve wet sanding. I was hoping to perhaps avoid sanding and utilize a chemical/restorer. You know like Nu-Finish!
"Husker" Dan

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well you can try a heavy duty compound first w/o sanding. You will need a posiher..... be careful not to burn the finish.

Before you do anything scrub it down with comet and clean the heck out of it.

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well a good scrubbing with Comet or the like seems to be the first order of business, before any wet sanding etc. OK, don't laugh everyone, but would something like CLR or Lime Away remove the milky, cloudy, mess on the hull?? I can't stand the looks of it. I don't mind the boat not being real shiny, but I detest the white chalkiness!! See you...
"Husker" Dan

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Cleaners like CLR won't do anything to an oxidized finish, Comet works like sanding because its an abrasive. You can try a coarse grit compound first, but most of time when its that bad it will need a little sanding to get down to fresh gel coat.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Dan..

What I would always recommend would be start simple. You KNOW that your going to have to rub it out..so grab your buffer and some compound and see what that does.

I personally like the 3m Imperial compound 3m-06044

It will is aggressive and breaks down finer and finer.

Wash the boat first ( no comet scrubbing or chems ) and try a spot buffing. RUB HARD and not flat padding.. put that pad up on a slight angle at first then flatten the pad to finish..

Consistent pressure and motion of the pad is the trick.

You might have to buff it 2-3 times to get all the oxi off .

If that does not work..use some 1200 wet/dry on a spot..if no go still..go to 600 then back to 1200.. buff..

You will know once you get going what you have to do m8.

I think your going to see that just a good ol' rubout will most likely do..

YD.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

after you do all of the above, buy a cover and keep it covered. the drain plug out, and bow high.

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, such good advice from you all! :) I will tell you that a good old fashioned scrubbing with Comet helped a bit. What I am having pretty fair success with at the moment is the Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser". I have done the starboard side of the boat with the eraser and the difference is pretty stout. I believe that once I have the entire boat erased, if you will, I can use Attwoods Color Restorer and then a good waxing and I believe she'll be OK for a 40 year old toy! I'll post some more pictures of the "After" once I get her done. Hopefully this weekend. Now if I could just get the motor to run!!!
"Husker" Dan