motor change how big can I go

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: motor change how big can I go

Welcome to iboats.

The answer is it depends on what your transom is rated for, you can't just put any engine on a boat.

There should be a tag on the boat that says what the max HP is, if you can't fine that call Godfrey Marine, they built your boat, and ask them what it was rated for.

dodge man

Cadet

Thanks I could not find a tag thats why I was unsure

Frankenstien

Cadet

I believe.... but not 100% certain, the HP/Capacity tag is required on boats smaller than 20' If you cruise through the brochures of most Manufactures the largest recommended HP for a 2 Tube toon is 150 for a 24' Boat. I Believe this has to do with the weight more so than the actual HP.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Well, that is for a new boat, we don't know what year he has and lot have different motor pans, some are smaller to save some money.

The smallest we offer at Bennington is 150 but that isn't the case with everyone.

And no, hang weight of a motor is the much lesser concern, just weight hanging on the transom puts very little stress on it, they are rated to resist the torque from the motor under way which can be many many times what the motor weights and the stress is front to back not vertical.

If you think about it a motor is a giant lever trying to rip the transom out of the boat, so transoms are rated for HP not motor weight.

Frankenstien

Cadet

If you think about it a motor is a giant lever trying to rip the transom out of the boat, so transoms are rated for HP not motor weight.

Thats great to know... might explain some of the stress crack on welds.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

Dodge,
If you go to the main page for these for these forums and scroll all the way down to the bottom you will see a ton of listing for boat types. Look for your name of your toon and click as you need to. These links will tell you what the mfg has rated your toon for your year. I looked under Aqua patio, but I couldn't find a toon....only ribbed boats. So maybe I was looking under the wrong mfg name. Good luck, My toon is a 92 Monark, and I have a 115hp but the max rating is 120HP.

dodge man

Cadet

thanks for the direction i called the manufacturer and they said 75 hp max hard to believe with such a big boat looking at a 2008 optimax engine are these any good any experience
Dodge,
If you go to the main page for these for these forums and scroll all the way down to the bottom you will see a ton of listing for boat types. Look for your name of your toon and click as you need to. These links will tell you what the mfg has rated your toon for your year. I looked under Aqua patio, but I couldn't find a toon....only ribbed boats. So maybe I was looking under the wrong mfg name. Good luck, My toon is a 92 Monark, and I have a 115hp but the max rating is 120HP.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

On my toon I can change the aluminum transom bracket and bolt another one up. I have read before where people have bought others for heavy/more HP motors and then rebolted to there toon. If your toon has a removable transom you can look into that. I would call the MFG again to verify that the rest of the boat could handle more speed though. It does seem odd that your boat won't handle more than a 75HP. Good luck.