92' Gt 200 VRO Warning Signal

razorsedge31

Cadet
I have a 92 gt 200 v6 vro. Last year I replaced the water pump due to the warning Horn. Fish the rest of last year and then the first tourney this year and the buzzer went off again. No change in frequency of the horn going off. Now everytime I take it out the horn goes off when either I just get on plane or when I idle for 5 to 7 min. The water coming out is strong and I have disconnected the VRO because I thought that was the problem and now mixing oil with gas. Warning buzzer still goes of and again is not constant. not sure what to do next???? Please Help!!!!

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 92' Gt 200 VRO Warning Signal

Check your owners manual. Some engines warning horns are set up to chirp in different patterns or rhythms depending if it is oil or temperature etc. Maybe you have a problem or maybe you have a sensor that is faulty or has shorted out. Maybe the oil system (vro) needs something else done to it since you disconnected it. Take the cover off the engine when this happens and touch your fingers to the heads and cylinders. I have read on this forum before that you should be able to touch the heads or cylinders for a 3 count if it is cooling properly. Hope it all works out for you. Keep an eye on things as you don't want an engine catastrophe.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 92' Gt 200 VRO Warning Signal

Yea, from what you write, it's kind of difficult to tell exactly what you're hearing. You probably should have tried to analyze the horn before you disconnected the VRO because some warnings have nothing to do with oil. You really need to figure out what condition the horn is sounding for, and that is very easy.

There are four conditions that have warning sounds. The following was takein from this website which you should read. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html [my comments are in brackets like this]

The warning horn tone sequence tells if a problem is occurring while operating the engine.

1- A rapid on?off sound is a "no oil flow" indication. [On mine it's about one beep every second or so. This means that the tank is either empty or that there is something preventing the oil from flowing from the tank to the fuel pump. The sensor is at the pump. If you've disconnected the oil tank, it could be as simple as you haven't disconnected the wires that cause this warning. My system (intact VRO/OMS) sounds very occasionally if the engine has been sitting for several weeks. A pump or two on the oil primer solves the problem, and it never happens again]

2 - One beep every 20 to 40 seconds is a low oil level in the remote tank. [the sensor for this is in the oil tank. So if you're getting a false reading here, it's because the float sensor is bad or the wiring is grounding somehow]

3 - a steady tone at all speeds is an overheat condition.

4 - On V-6's a constant horn at high speeds that disappears instantly when the throttle is pulled back indicates a fuel restriction.

Loose connections can also cause erroneous "beeps" and the most common open circuits are battery cables with finger tightened wing nuts instead of stainless steel hex nuts and lock washers tightened with a wrench. Incorrect spark plugs occasionally cause false warning signals, too. Use only the "Q" style suppresser plugs recommended by OMC for your motor. Resistor plugs are not the same thing and may be the source of problems. The factory does not endorse spark plug manufacturer's conversion charts.