Need help from experienced electric Trollers: Lbs/thrust needed

mfl84

Cadet
Probably answered ten times over already, but need some help from people whom have experience using electric trolling motors.

Have a 21' Sea Ray and loaded with gas, gear, people etc. is about 4,200lbs.
Fish & boat in Lake Erie waters near Buffalo.

Have decided (I think) on an Engine Mount Minn Kota, either a 80,101 or 160.

I have read numnerous reviews and blogs and this is like chasing a ghost to figure what is a true minimum thrust is needed versus maufactiurers recommendations.

Figured I was safe as "more thrust the better" and get a160, yet a seller of one said it was on an 18' - 3,600lb boat and it would only do 2mph. Seems slow for a 160.

Seller had a V hull, like mine and he said that greatly affects the way these motor runs?????

Rather than go blindly by manufacturers recommendation, and spend $800+, I am seeking boaters with real on-board experience.

Can anyone help me ??

MC

gonefishie

Commander
Re: Need help from experienced electric Trollers: Lbs/thrust needed

Are you going to be doing lots of trolling at various speeds? Electric TM are not really made for boat that big/heavy. Something else you need to consider too is that 160lbs thrust is most likely a 36V which takes 3 deep cycle batteries = a bunch more weight added to your boat. If you're planning on trolling then you might want to consider a gas kicker motor if your boat can be set up with one. Most Sea Ray I have ever seen are not fishing boat. If it's a 21ft Lund or Ranger? 160lbs thrust will get you moving really good.

mfl84

Cadet
Re: Need help from experienced electric Trollers: Lbs/thrust needed

Good questions and thoughts,

I guess the best way to answer as follows:
-The EM's I'm looking at are mostly 24V, Odd but 101 is 36V,the 160 is 24V.
-Am not a hard core fisherman, but do fish 15-20 times/yr from my boat, mostly for bass, so variable trolling speeds is not a determining factor.
- Also am looking for a back up emergency, even though I have US Boat towing.
- My 30lb, from my old 16', actually moves this boat by at about 0.2 -0.5 mhp

As you stated, mine is not a fishing boat, that said I hate to put on a 2 stroke cumbersome gas stinker, that obstructs any type of water skiing/tubing.

Sound like I have a conumdrum (however you spell that) on my hands.

Thanks for your input.

Guess I'll still be chasing that ghost even more now !