Buy the 204 with 4.3/190hp mercruiser???

I have until 6/20/09 to decide about buying a Tahoe 204 with 4.3/190hp mercruiser motor on it. The boat is rated for 11 people but I would typically have about 6 onboard. We like to ski, so my question is...Will the 4.3 be enough power to pull a slolum skiier with 6 adults on it? The reason I ask is because I have used a Tahoe Q4 Sport with a 3.0 on it, with 5 adults and it has been able to pull a slolum skiier, but it needed a little more power. The 204 is a bigger boat and weighs more, so would it wind up being the same problem of needing a little more power in this 204? I don't want to buy this boat knowing my family will want to ski a lot, if it's not enough power. Thank you.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Buy the 204 with 4.3/190hp mercruiser???

I have until 6/20/09 to decide about buying a Tahoe 204 with 4.3/190hp mercruiser motor on it. The boat is rated for 11 people but I would typically have about 6 onboard. We like to ski, so my question is...Will the 4.3 be enough power to pull a slolum skiier with 6 adults on it? The reason I ask is because I have used a Tahoe Q4 Sport with a 3.0 on it, with 5 adults and it has been able to pull a slolum skiier, but it needed a little more power. The 204 is a bigger boat and weighs more, so would it wind up being the same problem of needing a little more power in this 204? I don't want to buy this boat knowing my family will want to ski a lot, if it's not enough power. Thank you.

I wouldn't buy a 20ft'r with less that 220-250HP. My boat has 233HP and gets out of hole fine for a slolam skier with 4-5 on board, but it probably doesn't weigh what boats do today. If you could get the 5.7L/Bravo I/III, I would.

Thanks, that's exactly what I need to know. This boat is selling for 18,900 which is a great deal, but if it won't pull a skiier with people in the boat, that won't work. It's a "special" and I am trying to get them to trade a 5.0liter that's on a Tahoe Q6 for this 4.3. Thanks for your help.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It will tow a skier just fine with a lower pitch prop, you will just loose out on top end speed and cruising efficiency. With the right prop I imagine it will feel powered just like a bigger version of what you currently have.

What do you mean with the right prop? Is there a different prop I can put on this one? If so, is it cheap? Top end speed-you mean going the 48mph it says it will do? I wouldn't pull a skiier that fast anyway. Are you saying that this motor would be alright? The boat weighs about 3000lbs plus 6 average adults minimum.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Propellers are generally described with two numbers. 1. An overall diameter (commonly 14-15" - the size of the circle the blades sweep measured at the blade tips) 2. Pitch (the amount of angle the blades have - the distance the prop would move forward in one revolution if there was no slippage - typical pitches are 15" - 23")

A lower pitch number is like a lower gear on a car. More rpm. Less top speed. The pitch is generally stamped or cast into the prop on or in the hub. A 19" pitch is pretty common. Dropping to a 17" would improve your hole shot or acceleration, but yield a lower (4-5 mph?) top speed at the same rpm. Depending on the boat, there is some risk of over revving the engine with a lower pitch prop. (sort of like driving down the highway in 3rd gear in your car) 6 people sounds like a big load for skiing so I would tend to opt for more power.

Any one else with specific 4.3 mercruiser knowledge, please chime in. I'm an outboard man. Looks like there is a tab at the top of this web page with links to boat propellers. I like buying them used - with the opportunity for experimenting at lower $$.

Thank you, that's very helpful. It sounds like this boat would be OK if maybe I changed the prop like you said. I will check into cost of another prop, I'm not sure what this one has but I will find out. Dropping down just slightly improves it enough possibly. Do they come by the inches, like 18"? I will check into buying one used. Does it matter what brand, like does it have to come from mercruiser? I appreciate all the help.

BayBoy1750

Cadet

Not to be a shameless promoter of a product but I bought some Smarttabs for my 1750 Bayliner with a 3.0 liter (much smaller boat) and we tow a 240lb guy with 170,220,170 in the boat just fine. I run a 19 pitch prop as well.

Before the tabs we ran driver + spotter only. There are other benefits besides just hole shot as well.

You'll be fine with Smarttabs and probably 19p prop (just match WOT revs to top end of recommended range in owners manual), probably disappointed without them with that engine is my guess.

My 2cents.

OK I looked smarttabs up on the internet. They sound like a good idea for anyone. Do I buy just the conversion kit for the appropriate weight of the boat, or what about the gas actuator with boot, trim plate and hinge kit? Maybe those are just replacement parts. I found smarttabs on Nauticus, Inc. Where did you buy yours? Is it better to go to a store than online? I appreciate all your help and information, I warned you that I was a novice. Thanks again.

Utahboatnut

both options would help your cause it kind of depends on which way you want to go $ and time/install wise. I use a high five prop(merc makes them) and it will rip your arms off if not careful. I have a bigger engine than what you are looking at but I can tell a HUGE difference between the hi five and just a regular 3 blader. I do lose some top speed but for all around usage the hi 5 can't be topped. I do alot of watersports and I love it. The V6 would probably do fine, but in that size boat with 5-7 on board you will never be complaining about how powerful it is. If it were a duoprop it would have all the pull you could want/need. If you get it start with the prop IMO you should carry a spare anyways.

haulnazz15

Captain

My issue is that buyin a boat that you have to modify in order to work properly is against my nature. The question is not "can you get a slalom skier up with 6 on board". You can probably get a slalom skier up with a 4-banger with 120HP with 6 people aboard. So the question is not CAN YOU, it is How Well Does It Do It?

The major factor between the two is torque. That is what gets you out of the hole. A 5.7L will have a lot more torque than the 4.3L and will pull the sloam skier out the same if there is 2 people or 6 people aboard. My 20ft ski boat with 233HP is strong enough to pull me out of the hole (slalom at 200lbs) but you start to notice with 5+ people aboard. I am just clarifying my stance that with a 20ft boat, loaded with people, that V8 won't leave you wanting for power, but the 4.3L may. Re-proping and adding smart tabs are just ways of fixing design flaws.

My .02.

i would have to disagree i have a 17 ft larson with a 4.3 gxi volvo in it and it will jerk your arms off if your not carfull.granted mine is pushing about 225 hp but the diff between a carborated 5.0 and a 4.3 would not be that noticable.i would go for the 4.3 for the fuel economy.

with the market the way it is (if your buying from a dealer) they will most likely throw in a prop just to sell the boat.and yes i would carry a spare anyways. my guess is that 20 footer would have a 19 pitch prop on it new. so i would get a 17 pitch for water sports and run the 19 when your just out cruizing.

BayBoy1750

Cadet

Oh, btw NEVER buy a boat without taking a test run (bring along your 5 friends) and try to slalom...the seller should not have a problem with this and you will be able to buy confidently. If they won't let you I wouldn't buy from them anyway.

skibrain

To answer your question about an 18" pitch prop. yes, there very well could be something made in that pitch for your 4.3L. But there are other variables that are important. My explanation was intended to be general prop info.

There are additional variables like prop material: aluminum v. stainless steel.
Number of blades: 3, 4, or 5 (someone's mention of a High-Five is a five blade model)
Condition of the prop: All of this conversation assumes a perfect, straight, prop. I am amazed at how many boats I see where the prop blades are bent, chewed up, etc. This affects acceleration, top speed, vibration...ALOT, and to me is an indication of how attuned the owner is about caring (or not!) for their boat in general.

I'd agree with the advice of testing the boat in the conditions (load you intend to carry, plus skier) the way you plan to use it. All of this is just a theoretical conversation about potential problem solving for a boat with which you don't yet have any real experience.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

First off, the carbed 4.3's are under-rated you are getting more than 200hp out of them.

That boat with that engine probably has a 1.84:1 ratio in the drive and the dealer will be installing a 19 or 21 inch prop. Since the prop is dealer installed step it down one size (17 or 19) from the "standard". Of course a quick water test, loaded and run as you plan to use it would still be the best.

Last someone mentioned having a 233hp v8, remember that back in the 70's those numbers were all crank ratings. Today all hp ratings are based on power at the prop. An alpha drives eats about 30hp, other drives are similar. Add all this up and you will see why the 4.3's have such a strong following in the smaller boats. As much power as a small v8 and about 100lbs les weight to haul around.

BayBoy1750

Cadet

. Re-proping and adding smart tabs are just ways of fixing design flaws.

Or getting maximum performance for minimal cost. You say tom-A-to but I say tom-AH-to. :)

So...did Original Poster purchase the boat? Results?