wet sand

t_brown1986

Seaman
I wet sanded my whole top side.. it was looking yellowish.. this done the job but now i wanna know what i need to wax/coat it with?? i done a test spot with some turtle car wax and WOW it looked brand new. is this ok to do?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: wet sand

I'm hoping you wet sanded with something like 1200 grit paper. If not, you gotta work up to 1200, then buff it with a buffing compound. Not wax (not yet).

Use a fairly aggressive compound. Use a single-action, variable speed buffer if you can. Then wax it.

It'll look new.

t_brown1986

Seaman

i used exactly 1200 YAY!! lol.. where do i get compound... what do i look for??? LOL.. im an idiot.

Steven S.

Cadet

i used exactly 1200 YAY!! lol.. where do i get compound... what do i look for??? LOL.. im an idiot.

You can go to an automotive paint store. There's several different cuts of compound, just like different grits of sandpaper. Best bet is to just tell the guys behind the counter what you're trying to do. If they're worth anything, they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need, and how to do it.

Just a heads up, it may shock you when you find out the price. It's not outrageous, but just remember, you're not buying off the shelf at Autozone. It's worth it though, coming from a son of a master painter with 30 years experience, and on top of that I work at a paint store that supplies over 300 body shops with their supplies.

n2ostroker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can compound by hand but I would move from 1200 to 1500 to 2000 grit if you plan on hand buffing. Then you can use something like Turtle wax buffing compound.
Me personally, go over it again with 1500 grit then I would get a high speed buffer from Harbor Freight $40-50, 3m twisted wool pad ~$15(from napa), 3m Perfect It 3000 ~$30(from Napa), then a good wax. You'll have around $100 in it but then you'll have everything should you ned to do it again.
It'll come out to look like this when done. I haven't waxed it yet in these pictures.

Attachments

• the dirty-dirty.jpg
    the dirty-dirty.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0
  • sand and buff1.jpg
    sand and buff1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • sand and buff 2.jpg
    sand and buff 2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • sand and buff 3.jpg
    sand and buff 3.jpg