shift cable seal

SteveDavis

Seaman
I have an '86 4.3l OMC Cobra. I am in the middle of trying to change the bellow seals, but am really confused when it comes to the shift cable bellow. How the heck does it work? Looking at my factory manual, it does not show how the cable gets sealed. I bought the Sierra kit on this site, it comes with a shift cable bellow seal. It also looks as if I can't replace it when the engine is in. Does the engine have to be out? Anyone have any photos or know of any that I can see to help? I have to get this fixed tomorrow?

Thanks,
Steve

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: shift cable seal

Yep, engine has to come out. That shift cable sheath/bellow thing is only removable with the exhaust y-pipe out, which requires engine removal.

Don't replace it if it's not leaking. It typically doesn't.

SteveDavis

Seaman

Ok, I wont replace. Or at least not yet. I need to figure out why I am leaking and I was thinking that the best way may be to fill the hull and tip the boat back. Maybe this way I can tell where it is coming in. I guess I should hope it is a u-joint bellow and not a shift cable bellow.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have the drive off it should be pretty easy to find if you fill it up with water.

SteveDavis

Seaman

I do have the drive off. I also have the u-joint and exhaust bellows off. Do you suggest taking it to the lake? I think filling at home and tipping will tell me the most.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm tired. :)

With the drive off it's going to leak awful fast through the gimbal bearing since it's missing the driveshaft! ;)

Fill to just below the driveshaft bellows.

You won't be able to tell what's leaking from the inside very well, so I'd fill from the inside and watch outside.

Is your transom's gelcoat cracked around the gimbal housing, especially down low, around the anode?

SteveDavis

Seaman

I'm tired too, but am not able to sleep. I am too worried or anxious to see if I can fix this. No, there is no gelcoat, as I have an alluminum boat. Oddly enough there was a few cracks in the back. Both about in the same place, off of the bottom left and right corners of the outdrive. Neither ran/run to the gimble ring housing, they were just a few inches outside of the housing. I have them welded last year. That makes me worried that my transom is rotted. Man, I hope it is the u-joint bellow.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you said you have that bellow removed, right? If you do, it should be relatively obvious that it's shot (cracked at the folds).

Your cracked skin sounds like rotten transom to me. It shouldn't move. If it's moving and cracking, you have some wood to replace. :(

SteveDavis

Seaman

That's exactly what I did not want to hear or do not want to learn tomorrow. I really hope my tests tomorrow tell me otherwise. I am not ready to do the rebuild, like you did. I will keep you updated.

SteveDavis

Seaman

Bad and good news. I do believe that my transom is rotting and will need to be replaced soon. Good news, I was able to reach the six bolts/nuts that attach the transom to the outdrive. I tightened them and poof, no more leaking. This winter, I think I will have to replace it all to be safe. Now the task of reinstalling the outdrive and seals. Any tips anyone?

Thanks,
steve

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What shift cable bellows are you talking about? Cobras don't really have shift bellows, they have a tube that the shift cable goes down and there is a little boot that is around 3 inches long that sits at the top of the tube. The purpose of the tube is for when a wave hits the stern and water gets forced up the tube, it doesn't slosh into your bilge.

risingsun

Recruit

can you remove and repace shift cable housing/bellow without removing engine