1999 Force Carb issue

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have rebuilt the fuel pump and was putting a new needle in the carb when I noticed what looked like rust in the seat. I prevented my old needle and new needle from seating properly. I was getting too much gas and a miss at high speed along with black plugs.

Upon further inspection I believe it to be some type of hard yellow deposit on the seat and walls of the barrel. I bought a gallon of Gunk carb cleaner with the basket. It says to let it soak for 20 minutes but it did not get anything out. I then let it sit for 4 hours and still did not get anything out. I finally shoved the depression of 0000 steel wool and slowly spun the wool with a drill. I am looking for experience on how any of you fixed the same problem. I am now worried this may not have been the best thing. I did use the finest steel wool. The needle now seats well enough I cannot blow through the gas inlet.

Can a new seat be purchased as I have never seen one for this motor?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1999 Force Carb issue

Need to know what size motor and serial number to answer your question.

Having said that, some of the carbs have pressed in needle valve seats, others have screw-in needle valve seats. Both are replaceable, however, I've never seen replacement seats for the pressed in variety. It sounds like you probably have the pressed-in type. In general, it's rare for the seat to go bad, unless as in your case some type of deposit has built up on it, or someone has damaged it by accident. If the needle valve no longer leaks, you should be good to go. Using the OOOO steel wool is OK. It was probably some type of corrosion from moisture or contaminated gas. That's why the Gunk carb cleaner didn't do much. It's formulated to break down petroleum based residue, not corrosion.

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1999 Force Carb issue

1999 Force 40 hp. SN 365521. I just came back from the river trying it. It is some better but I still have an occasional miss at high speed. The spark plugs looked pretty good. I use NGK B9HS-10. When I use NGK BUHW I get more missing and short plug life as I do a lot of trolling. The needle seat is the press in type I am pretty sure.