Rivets, pop rivets or screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillSims

Recruit
I'm restoring a 16.5' princecraft, which should I use to give me another 5-10 years of problem free use. I've read that Cherrymax stainless rivets are stronger than standard boat rivets. Like to hear pro's and con's.

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Rivets, pop rivets or screws

Ummmmm.... Ok.... I'll take a shot.

Assuming this is a aluminum boat what u use will largely be determined on what your going to use the boat for.

A closed end rivet can and should be used. Stainless. Steel rivets could be used if the boat is not going to be used in salt water. The use of 2 dissimmular metals in that close of proximity will gause corrosive galvanation, this is bad.

Aluminum closed end rivets are your best choice.

Aluminum bolts can and have also been used with a dab of 5200 during assembly. My brother jon bolt is held together solely with bolts, it works well and doesn't leak with the 5200.

Sheet metal scres are a BAD idea.

What about just tightening up the rivets that are allready there? It takes 2 people, but really is the best of all options. Search "bucking rivets" for more information.

Bill

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Concur, rebucking the exsisting rivets is the best option, it takes 2 hammers and 2 people but will be good as new when done and alot easier than replacing rivets.

NO to screws, they will eventually work lose.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

PLEASE follow the forum rules and do not bring up old threads.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.