Checking Stator

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class
As I'm working on getting my 71 60hp Johnson running, I am checking the electrical components to make sure I don't fry anything when I get it running again.

I have a factory manual and did the check on the stator. The manual says I should have a reading of .75 +/- .2 ohms when I connect an ohmmeter between the yellow leads. I am getting 1.5 ohms. I am guessing that this indicates a bad stator. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Gary

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Checking Stator

As I'm working on getting my 71 60hp Johnson running, I am checking the electrical components to make sure I don't fry anything when I get it running again.

I have a factory manual and did the check on the stator. The manual says I should have a reading of .75 +/- .2 ohms when I connect an ohmmeter between the yellow leads. I am getting 1.5 ohms. I am guessing that this indicates a bad stator. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Gary

Not necessarily. They vary. Especially if it has ever been replaced with an aftermarket part. The stator only charges the battery. If it doesn't show any signs of overheating, I wouldn't worry about it.

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Checking Stator

Thanks.

Is there any possibility the stator could "blow" the amplifier?

If I end up having to replace my amp, I want to make I'm not going to blow it the first time I crank over the engine.