What do you guys do when your impeller is stuck to your drive shaft?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Can't budge it. That's never happened before -- maybe something to do with that wedge-shaped plastic key?

I applied a couple shots of PB blaster this morning, its soaking in.

Any advice welcome.

thanks!

1979 rude 70

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: What do you guys do when your impeller is stuck to your drive shaft?

Hold the driveshaft, and turn the impellor counter clockwise with a channel lock pliers. This will break the grip of the wedge.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

worst case dremel it off. notch the impeller with it and the brass insert inside of it (don't go all the way through, may hit the driveshaft), then use a screwdriver and a hammer and give it a few hits, making it act like a chisel. I did it to mine and it popped right off.

James R

Commander

Just had a similar problem. Cut the impeller blade away with a knife to get to the bronze bushing. drill a few small holes in the bushing from top to bottom taking care not to drill into the drive shaft. That impeller will pop right off.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Padded vice jaws, and a pair of chanal lock pliers, nothing gets drilled , ground, or marred.

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As said before, cut the rubber off, but then split the bushing with a sharp chisel being careful not to damage the shaft.

Quick and easy.

Capt Ron

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I think you have the slotted driveshaft with the steel key, so I would use Capt. Ron's method. I cut the rubber away and make a starting cut with a Dremel, though.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

vise grips on the drive shaft with sufficient padding, channel locks on the impeller, did the trick -- didn't take that much force, just a little movement to free it up.

yeah, it had the steel key but it's been hiding on the garage floor for a couple years now -- I installed the plastic one came with the last kit...

I don't know who invented the dremel, but I think his birthday ought to be a national holiday.................

Thanks for the help!