Old engine wont start

chrisfreeman

Cadet
Hopeing to get some feedback for this, here's what I got.. 1971 evenrude(125183c) Its been sitting a long time and then given to me. First, I hooked up a fresh battery to see if it would turn over. It turned over slowly, about 2 revs and a SNAP sound came from either the battery or engine, somewhere in the back of the boat. Now its dead, not a sound from the starter or solenoid, no click at all. I then installed fresh bat cables, brand new battery and connectors and the problem persists. When I put the key to on, the choke moves a little, so I assume the key is working? Any help is greatly appreaciated. Thanks

Rick.

Captain
Re: Old engine wont start

At the top of this forum is the the Top Secret File. Have a look in there for some basic things to do before you attempt to start it. Best of luck. Rick.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Check for a main fuse around the motor.

Use a volt/ohm meter at the starter solenoid to confirm power on the large wire.
test for 12. of the small wire while someone turns the key.

Pull all the spark plugs and spray a little PB Blast around in each cylinder. Leave the plugs out until you have it cranking freely.

chrisfreeman

Cadet

Thank you. There is 12v on small posts when key is turned to start, but no click. I will change solenoid, thanks again.

chrisfreeman

Cadet

Turned out to be the cut out switch (for starting)on the throtle linkage. Once disabled, it kicks over nicely. Thanks for the help.