No tilt up with 1996 Force 120

navynuke

Recruit
Greetings,
I have a 1996 Force 120 that will not tilt/trim up. It will operate in the down direction though. I have the square motor 3-wire system which is now discontinued.

It worked fine before winter storage but has not worked in the up direction this year. I have confirmed that the motor spins in both directions. With the motor and valve body disconnectect from the ram, I get oil flow when I operate the motor in the down direction. The oil flows out of the port opposite the limit valve. I am assuming the middle port is for the up dirction, but when I operate the system up, I get no oil flow. Is the middle port for the up oil?

I can move the ram up and down with the valve body and motor disconnected. Since I can move the ram and I get no flow in the up direction I think the problem is somewhere in the valve body. Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance for any help.

RRitt

Captain
Re: No tilt up with 1996 Force 120

I would check the relays first. When it works in one direction but not the other then relays are the most common culprit.

navynuke

Recruit
Re: No tilt up with 1996 Force 120

Thanks for the suggestion, but I swapped the relays and got the same symptoms, down but no up. Seperately I have confirmed that the motor turns in both directions.

Do you know if the middle port of the valve body is for the up direction oil flow?

In my system there are three ports that connect to the single ram. One port is for the trim limit valve, which I have replaced with a new one. The port on the opposite side of the limit valve emits oil when I run the motor in the down direction. I'm assuming that port is for down and by process of elimination I assume the middle port is for up. When I run the motor in the up direction there is no oil flow.

I would love to buy a new valve body and forgo this quest for knowledge but I can't find one.

Thanks is advance for any help.