Mercury Ring Compressors

mmf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody got a resonable source where a fellow can buy (2) Mercury straight type ring compressors. Need a pair for small merc 2 cylinder engines (20HP).

7920hpMercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury Ring Compressors

I made my set similar to the Mercury ones from 2 pieces of some 3/8" square steel stock maybe a foot long each piece, cut the ends on an angle, & drilled holes for 2 adjustment round all thread rods. One adjustment rod on top and another adjustment rod about a third of the way down. Wing nuts all around allow easy adjustment. They look about like the Mercury straight ones, just a whole lot cheaper! No shoes like the Mercury ones but the angle end works like the shoe and is opposite from the adjustment rod end.

mmf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

good deal, I'll have to try that, by the way you were exactly right about the idle bypass being stopped up on my 20 hp, I found about 40 dead wasp and a bunch of carbon crud completely stopping up the bypass drains. Yesterday, while running it (just traded), the motor started screeching down at the lower part of the powerhead (bummer) so I decided to tear the powerhead down and see what was the trouble. Found a very bad lower crank bearing and one mildly loose set of rod bearings. Is the lower crank bearing suppose to be a press fit or is it ok if I can "push it on"? Maybe the bearing inside race has expanded from heat, I don't know. The motor ran great, even with a bad bearing but I'm glad I stopped it and found the problem. Please let me know what you think about the fit of the crank bearing, if it's press fit, I suppose I will start hunting a used crank on ebay or something. Thanks for the replies!:)

mmf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let this be an "eye opener" to all the fellow merc owners who do not
see water spray coming from their two upper exaust ports on the drive shaft housing.;)

7920hpMercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Every 20hp I worked on, the crank bearings slid on, no press fit, but did fit very snug. Try Johnson bearing in Sparks Nevada for replacement bearings. You just need the bearing number to order which is on the bearing in very tiny etch letters.
Good luck, great motors!