1980 Evinrude 7.5/8hp Tilt Knob??????

Bobbywhite

Recruit
There's a Tilt/Run knob on the motor and It does nothing, I can pull it out. Anyone know what this is for. This is the part and they sell it here* OMC BRP ETec Johnson Evinrude TILT KNOB AY
OEM Part 0389658
Another question. Whats going to keep the motor from tilting up in reverse?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1980 Evinrude 7.5/8hp Tilt Knob??????

The tilt run knob should allow the motor to tilt in one position and lock it down for use when going astern in the other.

BUT IT TURNS Half a turn!

I reckon if you can pull it then there are some bits broken or missing dunno for sure never tried to pull mine but fairly sure it wouldn't. Not far anyway

Bobbywhite

Recruit

Vic, does your motor tilt freely normally.That run tilt knob is greased, it spins freely and comes out easily.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I have looked at the diagrams and yours and mine the same except that because mine is a sail version it does not have a shallow water drive facility as yours does and yours does not have a prop to support it in the tilted position. That was added to later models

Got a picture here (Click to enlarge)

The knob turns half a turn only, does not spin freely, in fact needs a little bit of effort to turn it. In one position the motor is locked down but turning it that half turn opens the catch locking it down so that the motor is free to tilt.

Look at THIS DIAGRAM (Enlarge it fully to view it)

The knob #66 has parts #61 72 & 73 on the back end of it (#72 is a spacer and #81 is just an O ring) The knob is turned to release the catch parts #29 and 30 via the link #26. Various pins and springs hold it all together. Spring # 62 holds the latch shut spring #20 maintains tension on the link. It is pulling against these springs that causes the effort required to turn the knob. When in the locked down position it is part #30 that latches on to the tilt pin #23.

The shallow water drive support is #65

Bobbywhite

Recruit

Yup, thats the piece. Nothing seems to be missing on the engine but there must be something. We'll see what happens on the Maiden Voyage...Thanks for taking the time.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

If the parts #72 and 62 are in place you wont be able to pull the kob out ... not by much anyway. If you can turn it more than 1/2 turn I dont think the link #26 can be in place.