1993 Evinrude 90HP faint ticking after spark plug change

fr0zenpuck

Cadet
Hello, new to the site.

I have a 1993 Evinrude 90HP. I had recently pulled the plugs to inspect and after re-installation the motor was making a faint ticking sound. Not all the time, and not full out. The sound is not getting any louder and appears to speed up with the RPM. I tried adding a higher ratio fuel 60-70:1 to see if this helps, doesn't appear to. Any thoughts?

Thanks

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1993 Evinrude 90HP faint ticking after spark plug change

This may sound dumb but it happened to me last summer. I had a helicoil insert installed because of a stripped spark plug hole. I installed the plug back into that hole very delicately as I didnt want to wreck the new insert. Started the motor and had a noticable tick. Started to take a close look and determined that the noise was coming from the plug with the insert. With the motor idling I could actually feel the blow by coming out past the plug threads. Tightened it down a little at a time till the tick was gone.

fr0zenpuck

Cadet

Now that you mention it I was a bit "easy" on the plug when installing it. Any suggestions on how tight? I would suspect quarter turn after hand tight.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You also may have a spark plug lead grounding out on the lower cowling.

fr0zenpuck

Cadet

That's another good possibility.

How would that work, would the lead ground out if it is too close to the cowling or touching it?

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Now that you mention it I was a bit "easy" on the plug when installing it. Any suggestions on how tight? I would suspect quarter turn after hand tight.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Pull the plug back out and see if the gasket is completely crushed. If the gasket isnt crushed all the way the plug wasnt tight enough.
Its kind of a feel thing, you will feel it tighten up when the gasket begins to crush and when it gets even tighter you are done.

fr0zenpuck

Cadet

Thanks a bunch, I will check that on the weekend.

Cheers

fr0zenpuck

Cadet

Well.....ended up being the latch on the cowling! However the plugs were a bit loose and I did find one of my plug wires arcing at night time, so all that got fixed anyhow.

Thanks again boys, happy boating!