1989 50hp force

slipper

Seaman Apprentice
My Motor will start then about 10 secs later stall,
I have checked compression good.
carbs clean
filter screen clean
new plugs
wondering if its the ignition kill, xould this be it?
if so is there a way to check this?

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: 1989 50hp force

To me it sounds like a fuel problem. Try squirting gas down the carb when it starts to die. I bet it picks right back up.

slipper

Seaman Apprentice

I will try if thats the case would it be the fuel pump...

steven4141

Cadet

Check your fuel line between the engine and the tank, had same problem earlier this spring trolled about 6 miles back to ramp. Got home and realized the Steering cable had the fuel line pinched off between it and the transom. Needless to say the fuel line now has its own dedicated hole to pass thru.;)

slipper

Seaman Apprentice

one more thing just realized I bought the wrong plugs, can I use them there a surface gap plug champion UL18V, I should have champion L82C

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

one note to add to the part about squirting gas into the carb, make sure its premix that you use,as the only lube the bearings ,rings and pistons get is whats mixed in with the fuel,don't want to scuff a piston now do we? MOPAR MAN

slipper

Seaman Apprentice

ok its a fuel problem when I shoot gas into the carb it keeps it going...
now whats my fix?

bustermin

Banned

pull the bowl off of the carb and verify the needle valve is not sticking, when you remove the bowl watch for debris and water, then check your fuel lines for internal problems. when was the last time the carb was rebuilt, it may be time.

slipper

Seaman Apprentice

well seeing is that the motor was bought used....
im going to go ahead and even though he said he cleaned it last fall im going to do a carb cleaning and fuel diaphram, I ordered them from the link so hope to get em soon...
thanks guys