Shifts Hard Forward - Alpha One

zyclon3

Cadet
1991 Mercruiser Alpha One (not sure if its gen 1 or 2, if it helps narrow it down it has the old roller style cutout switch...)

All is well except that recently it has been shifting into frwrd hard.

When shifting into frwrd it goes past the spot where it 'should' shift and I get into more throttle that I should before it shifts, giving it a hard shift. Its not too bad but its not as smooth as it should be. Reverse is fine.

Had my lower unit out recently for another issue and had the tech check it out. He said the 'nut' was all the way at the end and couldn't be adjusted anymore (not sure what that means). I dont think he looked anywhere else. He recommended that I get a new shift cable since this was the original and is probably stretched out. I dont have 100% confidence in the tech as I think he takes the easy and most expensive way out (maybe good for some but not on my budget). So I just wanted a second opinion before I sign up for another large service bill.

Is there anything I can check for adjustment? Is there any adjustments I can make at the shift arm or remote shift assist? Can you adjust the barrel on the shift cable thats held by a clevis pin to make it smoother?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Shifts Hard Forward - Alpha One

He recommended that I get a new shift cable since this was the original and is probably stretched out.

Ayuh,... I Agree....

Lower shift cables Wear Out,... They Don't just go Out of Adjustment...