Custom made oars - a fun side project

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Quote from aqnother thread:
probably had a 1x6 for an oar

This got me thinking.. I've never considered making my own oars! That sounds like fun!

Has anyone else made their own oars? What type of wood works best? Ash, maple? I figure it can't be much different than making a baseball bat, just flatter.

I know they only cost about $20, but I've been wanting to build something other than my boat for a break, and this sounds fun. If you have made your own oars (or are going to now!) post your photos here. I'd love to see them.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Custom made oars - a fun side project

Some oar companies use 2 differant woods laminated for strength and looks. Why not use ash and maple.

I actually saw a show on it on tv on How it's Made but they were actually making paddles for canoes and mentioned the oars.

I do remember lot's of epoxy glue and drying in ovens prior to poly coating.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I bought the materials to make the oars (enough for me and the wife to get in on the action). Using 3 different woods. I wish I had a router to round off the oar shafts. This will involve a LOT of sanding/planing otherwise.

I'm determined, though. I'm using http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz1PXzbgo_g&feature=related as inspiration. That guy has it down to a science and they come out amazing!

Wood has to be the best creative medium ever. I'll be sure to keep a photo log of my progress.

erikgreen

Captain

Actually, there's a trick you can use to obtain octagonal shafts for the oars without too much trouble using a regular router. I can't describe it off the top of my head, but I saw it get used to make posts for a bed.

I've seen oars home made before, from super cheap to works of art. Basically, you need to use decent quality wood for the shaft, it takes a surprising amount of abuse. The rest of it is up to you.

I used to have plans for carving a canoe paddle from a piece of 2 inch by 6 inch by four foot wood plank... hard to find that sort of wood cheaply now.

Do post pics.

Erik

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I make my own, but these are 9' to 10.5' oars for river use. This type starts at $150.00 each and goes to well over $200.00 each. Some are wood, some aluminum and others are composite, carbon, glass, etc.

I've made aluminum and composite shafts with blades I purchased, they just slide inside the shaft. The blade is tough to make lighter and as well as the ones you can buy, but I will most likely make the next set when it comes time to.