Help with fuel guage please

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok i installed a new (used) throttle box on my 1975 Johnson with the red plug got everything hooked back up but now the fuel guage doesn't work got the wire coming off the (I) termenal that was in the other box but not sure what wire it was connected to. Thought it should be hooked up to purple wire coming out of throttle box but when i hook it up there the guage still want move with switch on. The switch was working when i removed the old box so now im completely lost hooked it up the same way i did tack, tack works when switch is on but fuel doesn't

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Help with fuel guage please

Well got it all hooked just like the digram now and still didnt work. Decided to try something different ran a line straight from fuel tank (pink wire) to (S) on guage still didn't work so I ran a ground straight to battery and still didnt move. No i have 3 gal gas at least in the boat just put it in cause i wasn't sure if it was empty or not. Guage will jump all the way to full if you take pink wire and run to the battery so the guage works i assume so does this mean i need to replace the sencor in the tank.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

might be.

Do you have a digital Meter? you can check the Ohms of the fuel tank and see if they are different when full or empty. if not you might be right, bad sender.

Someone else might know the exact Ohm readings for full/empty. I think they are low (maybe 10) empty and around 80-100 ohms full... but I don't remember....

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well fixed the problem got a new sending unit and put it in and it worked till i missed up and shorted out the guage not sure what i touched but the key was on and the guage quit and it blew the inline fuse for the motor at the same time. But went got a new guage put it in and now seems to work fine.
Thanks for the help

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you solved the puzzel.

Congrats and thanks for posting.