Neutral safety switch... where to buy one

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 20' starcraft openbow supersport with a Merc 140, 4cyl, I/O (It is an '85 iron duke -- i know I was corrected once - but I am told this over and over...)

The throttle is a quicksilver and was replaced along with the cables last season.

I need a neutral safety switch and do not know where to get it.

I am not mechanically inclined and do not have any idea of what kind of information to give in order to get the right part.

Let me know which section and any additional information that could be needed.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Neutral safety switch... where to buy one

The neutral safety switch should be built into the handle . . . Sounds like it is bypassed. Did it have a neutral safety switch before you replaced the handle? Do you have the mini-manual that came with the new handle?

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmmmmm, we didn't get a book - we had it installed at the marina. I need to make sure we get our old parts back, too.

Not sure why a $225 throttle and cable would come without one... but the mechanic just told us we needed one.

I'll need to check into this further.

Moody Blue

Captain

Can't imagine your Quicksilver control not having an integrated neutral safety switch. Is it a new unit or used? Perhaps the mech didn't wire it up properly?

Are you sure its a neutral safety switch you are looking for?

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's the exact term the mechanic told us... I thought it should have something to do with the throttle - since it is acting up -- again.

Man, I just paid them $1200 last season for a new control box and cable system -- steering to motor. See photo attached -- the description says it has a neutral safety switch - geeze the thing itself cost me over $200.

I never received an instruction booklet and now I am worked up again. I am sure something is fishy again. Thanks for the input guys.

Attachments

• 159382F-p.jpg
    159382F-p.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0

Moody Blue

Captain

I'm not at all familiar with that control so can't offer any specific help. BUT if I had spent $1200 on a new system and it was not fully operational (neutral SAFETY switch) yet the description says it has one I would be headed back to the ones that put it in and have them very clearly explain why its not working, then have them make it right.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's exactly what I am going to do... I wouldn't have known otherwise of you hadn't pointed me in the right direction.
Thanks again

Nandy

Commander

Do you have the part number? We could look online before you go there. If it has it per the system description, it either was lost somewhere or someone is wanting to go to Hawaii after they are done with you...

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

B184M Side Mount Control for Mercruiser with Trim Switch
$325.00 $219.95 On Sale!
UFLB184M
Single lever, dual action control to operate both throttle and shift. Suitable for any type of boat with outboard, inboard or I/O. Can be installed horizontally or vertically, on the port or starboard side of the boat. Pull out handle disengages shift for warm up. Provided with a brake tension release system adjustable from outside. For Mercury/Mercruiser style cables. With Trim and Tilt switch. INCLUDES X50 NEUT. SAFETY SWITCH & UFLK35 ADAPTER FOR MERCURY "STYLE" CONTROL CABLES.

http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page278.html

That is the controller we had installed last August. And the throttle is starting to slip again. I have learned that I want all of my old parts back for every repair too.

I taste lemons.... :eek:

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jennis9,

It sucks that you're still having problems after spending all that money. However, just because the new throttle came with a neutral safety switch, doesn't mean that it will work with your setup. I had an 86 iron duke in my old sea ray, and the neutral switch was on top of the engine at the end of the cables. If your new controls came with a safety switch installed at the control end I suppose you could run the wiring from the old one up to the new one, but personally I want my neutral safety to work at the business end, not at the input end. You could theoretically have the boat in neutral at the helm, but due to cable stretch, it could actually be in gear at the stern. This is the reason that Merc put them back there to begin with.

If you need a new switch, just get the model and serial off the valve cover and go to any mercruiser dealer and they can order one for you. Shouldn't cost much and if you're at all mechanically inclined you can install it yourself.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is really good advice. I really try to give people the benefit of the doubt and choose the path of not flying off the handle first (even though I want to, trust me -- I need results, not excuses and yelling doesn't get me results.).

Thanks for all of your shared knowledge - I will check into that and go back to my guy with a little more confidence since I know a little bit about what is underway here.

I know not everyone is trying to take advantage, but sometimes it helps to have a little bit of leverage to make sure. That's why I love sharing on this forum.

:)

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jennis9, It sucks that you're still having problems after spending all that money.

Dodgermasst2003, that's not EVEN the beginning - you missed my thread on the Merc engine forum - I am looking for a new/rebuilt carb -- been told my engine is special and I need a $700 carb. Just had the old one rebuilt and the throttle plate is worn - he couldn't see that when the carb was in pieces? I don;t know that either, so we have a junk carb with about $75 worth of new parts and $150 in labor - OUCH!

Yup, could have bought three boats by now on what I have into this one. But I love boating and fishing - and since I am not handy with mechanics, I need to be able to trust my mechanic .

I just hate spending money on his learning curve. Good news is - i found a new one and shoudl be in better hands from now on. Thanks again for your reply.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jennis,

Had to stop back in and check on progress. I don't remember there being anything "special" about the carb other than its a marine carb. Yes they are a little more expensive than an automotive one, but shouldn't be $700 worth. If I remember correctly, that engine uses a Rochester 2 barrel, and you should be able to pick up a used one on ebay, or craigslist. If not you can try Checker marine in Lasalle michigan ( they are a boat salvage yard, and great people) I'm close to them, and if you can find one there and can't get up here, or need some local help, PM me and we can work something out.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

dodgeramsst2003 - you are one of the reasons why iboats is such a great place for information, thanks for the reply.

You are correct! My post on the carb in the merc engine thread is also providing information. I asked if you could tell if a throttle plate/shaft was worn when you go to rebuild a carb and was told YES, you could. Which makes me steam even more at the PREVIOUS mechanic.

Yeesh.

I am of the understanding that I need to replace this with a 2bbl MerCarb. (1985 starcraft 210ss, Merc 140 iron duke, part 1389-8490). I was told the difference between the two was that Merc is a one-piece carb and Rochester is a two-piece. But I have no idea why it wouldn't work or why the merc is better....

Thanks for the direction, I have a call into flyingfish and have yet to hear back from them. I will try to do a search on ebay and CL - and see what I come up with, coudn't find the merc, may can find the rochestor.

Checker is a great suggestion too, they advertise in the Cleveland craigslist sometimes too... I'll give them a call as well. Thanks a million! I'll be in touch if I hear anything.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you'll find that the merc part number that you have, will turn out to be a carb manufactured by rochester for mercruiser. I'm sure it will be slightly different than the actual rochester carb, but as long as its marine and the bolt patterns are the same, it shouldn't matter.