Yet another AristoCraft New Owner Ever use Lift Rings?

zetalampi999

Cadet
Hey all, I'm very happy to find this group for support and questions!

It seems every year I buy a different boat but I think this one's a keeper. I am planning on Recovering seats Redoing the woodgrain Contact paper and carpeting. Also want the bubble side windows and the rear tent or curtain. I have really come to love everything about these boats and I have only owned the thing for 5 days. I bought from a guy that was using it as a leaf and walnut collector in his driveway uncovered. The thing was covered with leaves, old soda pop cans and trash covered with dirt and grime. I have since spent an entire day cleaning the boat and power washing. It really looks great now. We took on its first run and have a few issues to fix (shift bellow cracked so taking on water and engine was running hot at high RPM) and now the lower unit will not raise anymore. I paid $1,000 bucks for it and feel I did alright. It has the Mercruiser outdrive and 165 in line 6. It is a 1972. I live on a private Lake Lotawana in MO. This lake has lots of old restored boats, so I can't wait to get her going and looking good!

Tell me what you think.

Also what do people think about using the lift rings to raise boat out of water at my dock? I have a boat house with 9 6"x6" support beams and figure I could use cable and come alongs to raise it.

Steve

Attachments

• AristoCraft 19.JPG
    AristoCraft 19.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Aristo 013.JPG
    Aristo 013.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Aristo 014.JPG
    Aristo 014.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Aristo 015.JPG
    Aristo 015.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • Aristo 017.JPG
    Aristo 017.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 0

zetalampi999

Cadet
Re: Yet another AristoCraft New Owner Ever use Lift Rings?

BTW these pictures are after removing debris, but before the power washing.

ziggy

Admiral

Also want the bubble side windows and the rear tent or curtain
http://www.aristocraftboats.com/AristoCraftNineteenPartsList.pdf
looks like yer in biz for them parts. not to bad for a real old boat ay.. ;) being able to get new parts for it and all.
I have really come to love everything about these boats and I have only owned the thing for 5 days.
wait till ya start using it every weekend. then you'll really be in love... :)
We took on its first run and have a few issues to fix (shift bellow cracked so taking on water and engine was running hot at high RPM) and now the lower unit will not raise anymore.
might as well do the whole shift cable. to do this yer gonna end up with the bellhousing completely off the boat. the shift cable screws into the bellhousing from the ft. side of the bellhousing. (old style). the new style will screw into the aft side of the bellhousing. when your cleaning up the threads in the bellhousing, be sure to use only a straight tap. not a pipe tap. this is one mercruiser specialty tool you'll need for sure to R&R the cable. old worn out cables cause folks a lot of grief too, no matter what boat there in. while your there, with the bellhousing in your hands. ya might as well do the main bellows too. here's the list of things i did to mine when i got to it. for drive work that is..
shift cable and shift cable bellows
main bellows
shift shaft
shift shaft seal, new style
shift shaft lever
gimeble brg.
ujoints
ft. seal on the drive
drive gear brgs.
water hose between bellhousing and gimble housing

this was a fall -spring project for me. after my first summer of operation

your most likely place to look for your overheat is the impeller in the lower unit. this is a once a year inspection item. not the easiest to get to. myself, i'm replacing it every year. they are not horribly durable and most important for proper cooling. do the waterpump housing too. your right there at it.

ya may be in for a new manifold and riser too. i was. mine leaked internally and gave me water in the oil syndrome. i got right on top of it when i found water in the oil. it's most imperative to do it asap if you get water in the oil. if you don't, ya run the risk of ruining the engine. at least guaranteeing the need for a rebuild.

great pics. thanks. i love seeing everyones nineteen. they're all the same except for the minor differences between the years and of course all the different colors they came in. sure looks like you've go something to work with. did ya see the blue one aristocraft redid.. :eek: man, is that baby a beauty.

if ya have questions about your boat. call up scott at aristocraft. he's a real nice fella and is most helpfull.. i'd ask him about useing the lifting rings as you propose. my guess is yes you can do what your wanting to do. but i'd ask the oem first. he'll know for sure i'll guess.

these are some real fun boats man. i just accidentally fell into mine. i'll tell ya what, if yer like me, once ya get a sliding hardtop. i can't imagine what the next boat will be. it's the best thing since sliced bread imho..

did ya get yer service manual from the adults only sticky over on the i/o forum. yer gonna need it... at least i do. i consider it the best tool in my toolbox.. iboats has been a real blessing for me too. what i don't understand in the book i ask here. many knowledgeable folks here that are most willing to offer help.. any questions i can help with. let me know too. i can post pics easy here so if ya need pics of something that i might have that you need, let me know... photobucket is the way to go for posting pics.

as to yer trim not raising the drive. i'm sure the first question will, does it have oil in the system. i use 10w30 i believe. best i read, it want's straight 20w. which best i can tell, is nla... check the color of your fluid too. if its read, ya got trans. fluid in the system. it'll work with that too. best i read, it'll work with just darn near any oil. just try not to mix hydrolic fluid and regular oil i guess is the way i get it.. when ya get yer service manual. you'll find a trim system trouble shooting guide in it too. that may be most helpful too..

congrats on your new boat man. way to go..

nice boat. welcome aboard. I will also be looking at ways to lift mine out of the lake. I have a large deck/boathouse with a steel beam and trolleys. I would think having weighted slings to drive over would be the way to lift her. that way the load is spread over the entire hull. At least i dont have any lifting eyes on mine that look up to the task. That will be next years project for me however. keep us posted and congratulations!

ziggy

Admiral

At least i dont have any lifting eyes on mine that look up to the task.
you don't have the two lifting eyes on the top of the transom or the one mounted to the deck on the bow?

while i'd be cautious about lifting by them, maybe even contact the oem about them. but in the brochures by aristocraft, they more than once comment on the lifting eyes as a selling point. i just get the feeling that that is what they were made for.. lifting the boat... of course i could be wrong. and i surely agree, lifting it from underneath it would seem to me a more reliable way of lifting a whole boat..